Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeSportScott backs shorter quarters

Scott backs shorter quarters

Geelong coach Chris Scott has admitted he prefers last season’s format of 16-minute quarters.

The AFL reverted back to the traditional 20-minute quarter this season after they were reduced to 16 minutes last year to allow for a condensed fixture due to the pandemic.

“I’m a huge advocate for the game being shorter,” Scott said on Wednesday.

“I think if the game stayed where it was last year, over a period of years everyone would get used to it.

“The quality of the game I think would go up. I think it would be more sustainable for the best players that play for a longer period of time

“I just don’t buy into the idea that let’s make the hardest game in the world even harder and run these guys out of the game when they’re 30.

“I’d love to see every game bar two, Dustin Martin run around as a 35 year old.”

Brisbane coach Chris Fagan, Port Adelaide’s Ken Hinkley and St Kilda’s Brett Ratten have all said they would prefer quarters to be shorter.

Carlton’s David Teague said he preferred 20-minute quarters and Richmond’s Damien Hardwick said he would settle for somewhere in between.

Geelong takes on Sydney at the SCG tomorrow night.

Both sides sit on four wins, but their formline is totally different.

The Swans won their first four games and have dropped the last two. Geelong started slowly but has defeated North Melbourne by 30 points and West Coast by 97 points in consecutive games.

However, Scott emphasised that the young Swans needed to be respected.

“We weren’t panicking when we didn’t think we were on top of our game post the North game,” he said.

“We won by 30 points, it wasn’t a disaster. And we’re not in love with ourselves now because we executed much better against the Eagles.

“It always brings you back down to earth when you look at the opposition and you see the quality of the footy that they’ve played and almost without exception across the competition you don’t need to go back too far to find good examples of the opposition playing well and Sydney’s first four weeks were really dominant.”

Even without Lance Franklin and Sam Reid in the side, Scott said Sydney’s scoring potential was still a worry.

“They have some young quality height and I imagine it’s going to be a bit of a selection headache for them when they have everyone available,” he said.

“I doubt their structure will change too much. I think they will have at least two talls down there.

“Their smalls are really dangerous. You look at their forward line and as much as any, (Tom) Papley’s the one that grabs your attention.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

From the archives

17 years ago 20 February, 2009 A company is investigating potential for a wave power plant off the region’s coastline. Western Australia-based Carnegie Corporation is in talks...

Pickleball opens up

More News

The power of creativity (and robots)

Jolyon James’ stage show Robot Song centres on the story of a young autistic child, Juniper, struggling to find her place in the world. A...

Guitar legend amps up for tour

Nathan Cavaleri comes to Geelong this weekend as part of a 18-show tour of his new album Live at the Wheaty. Hailed as a blues-rock...

Grove cements top spot

Ocean Grove cemented its place at the top of Section 4 Mixed with a commanding 6-0 win over second placed Surfcoast Torquay in Tennis...

Community calendar

Austrian Club Geelong Alpine music featuring Alpen Musikanten, Sunday 22 February, noon-5pm. Tickets $20 ($15 members). Meals and drinks available. ■ Irmela 0435995 200 Book sale Uniting Grovedale,...

Grubbers land recruiting coup

Ocean Grove has pulled off a stunning recruiting coup with Gary Rohan set to wear the red and white this Bellarine Football League season. Rohan,...

Boy arrested over stabbing

Geelong Crime Investigation Unit detectives have arrested a boy following a stabbing in Geelong’s Little Malop Street yesterday afternoon. It is alleged a boy stabbed...

Why Australia’s Favourite Regional City is Leading the 2026 Jobs Boom

Geelong has been building momentum for years, but a turning point has arrived. Once seen as a city with potential, it now stands at...

Cleaning up litter

People can help keep the region’s beaches, foreshores and marine environment clean during the upcoming Clean Up Australia Day. Clean-up events will...

Convoy for kids

Hundreds of trucks will take to Geelong’s streets this weekend to raise money for families impacted by childhood cancer. The 11th annual...

Celebration of life in the north

A new exhibition delving into the heart of Norlane will open at Platform Arts this weekend. Led by artists Laura Alice and Yuhui Ng Rodriguez,...