Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsShire doc fight win

Shire doc fight win

A councillor has won her fight for a “secret” planning document after Surf Coast Shire refused to release it for 10 months.

The shire “conceded its argument” last week at the state’s planning tribunal, Cr Heather Wellington said yesterday.

The shire spent “massive amounts of ratepayers’ money on lawyers” during the “long and sorry saga” as Cr Wellington paid her own legal fees, she said.

“The shire’s imposition of that cost on ratepayers and the broader community is unconscionable,” she said.

The council previously reported Cr Wellington to the Local Government Inspectorate, alleging her request for two documents was a misuse of her position as a councillor. The inspectorate later cleared her of wrongdoing for seeking the documents through Freedom of Information (FoI).

The Victorian Information Commissioner ruled she could have one of the documents but the shire refused to release it, prompting Cr Wellington to take the matter to Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

The shire tried to have the matter dismissed before withdrawing its claim at the “last minute”, Cr Wellington said.

She declined to reveal the planning issues associated with the documents but demanded that the shire “immediately” release the second document for the benefit of residents.

“Those people have never had access to the information they need to understand a planning matter and decide how to manage their own position. I think that is outrageous.”

Cr Wellington said she was suspicious of why the shire’s motivation for fighting her initial FoI application.

“I endured a very unpleasant investigation and interview under caution before I was cleared.

“I acted entirely in the public interest. I simply sought to understand why the shire had not released documents to residents that, in my view, should have been released.”

VCAT is set to determine Cr Wellington’s application for the second document in September.

Surf Coast Shire chief executive officer Keith Ballie declined to comment because the matter referred “to statutory and legal proceedings occurring between council and a private individual”.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...