Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsConviction reveals twist in ’95 murder

Conviction reveals twist in ’95 murder

A jury has convicted Nicholas Munn of murdering Jason Fry at North Shore in 2018, unveiling shocking claims about an infamous 1995 Geelong killing.

On 9 April Munn used a hammer to kill Mr Fry inside the victim’s bedroom on Seaforth St, the jury found today

The guilty verdict allowed media to report claims Munn recently confessed to killing Ricky Balcombe in a notorious Market Square stabbing.

The claim is a key argument in the appeal of Karl Hague, who a jury last year convicted of stabbing 16-year-old Ricky Balcombe to death on 5 May, 1995.

Lawyers for Hague submitted the theory in court in a bid for an acquittal or retrial, which three Court of Appeal judges are currently considering.

But on 17 May prior to Munn’s trial Supreme Court judge Elizabeth Hollingsworth imposed a suppression order preventing reporting of the alleged admission until the end of the trial.

The order was necessary to prevent a “real and substantial risk of prejudice” potentially denying Munn a fair trial, Justice Hollingsworth said.

The Court of Appeal also imposed a suppression order during Hague’s application for leave to appeal.

Police found Mr Fry’s body in the boot of a Holden Commodore on Seaforth St, North Shore, last April after receiving reports of a burglary.

Munn admitted to killing the 41-year-old father but claimed he had done so in self-defence.

He had been couch surfing at Mr Fry’s house while avoiding police following subpoena for him to appear as a witness at Hague’s murder trial, the court heard.

In a closing statement his lawyer argued Mr Fry had come at Munn with a kitchen knife and Munn, fearing he would be stabbed, struck him with a hammer three times.

But the prosecution pointed out Mr Fry’s 13 head injures correlated with witness testimony by Mikayla Butler that Munn had attacked the victim from behind.

Munn told Ms Butler he had killed Mr Fry while he was using a computer, she told the court.

In his closing statement the crown prosecutor told the jury Munn had attempted hide evidence from police.

“He was, of course, destroying what he knew to be the scene of a cold-blooded murder.”

Munn is scheduled to face a pre-sentencing hearing in Geelong on 4 December.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...