Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsPush to extend Covid supplement

Push to extend Covid supplement

More than 24,000 Geelong and Surf Coast residents could lose $3.6 million in coronavirus supplements, with the federal government yet to announce an extension beyond March 31.

On Wednesday The Guardian reported 14,327 Corio electorate residents would lose $2,149,107 in weekly payments if the government did not renew the supplement.

Another 9753 Corangamite residents stand to lose $1,462,902, the publication reported.

Corio MP and deputy opposition leader Richard Marles urged the federal government to extend the supplement.

“Taking this money out of the pockets of Geelong pensioners, carers, our youth and job-seekers, while we are still trying to recover, is nothing but cruel,” he said.

“This government doesn’t care that pensioners are deciding between food and medication.”

As of January 29, 2021, Geelong had 10575 residents on JobSeeker, 52.8 per cent higher than 6921 in March 2020, according to Department of Social Services data.

On the Bellarine Peninsula, 2237 residents were on JobSeeker, 74 per cent higher than 1282 in March 2020.

In total, greater Geelong recorded a 56 per cent increase JobSeeker recipients and a 46 per cent increase in Youth Allowance payments.

Those figures have decreased slightly since December 2020. JobSeeker and Youth Allowance recipients are only two categories among those eligible for the supplement.

The government is also yet to announce an extension to JobKeeper beyond March, with thousands of Geelong businesses reliant on the payment to pay employees.

The latest available Treasury figures indicate that 9158 Geelong businesses were receiving JobKeeper in September 2020.

“We know uncertainty is growing for workers and business, yet the government has failed to make clear what help will remain on the table after next month,” Mr Marles said.

“That is just not good enough. People deserve better.

“This government either doesn’t have a plan or doesn’t care and both are completely unacceptable.

“The government is making it pretty clear it’s not on the side of Australians as time runs out on JobLeeper.”

But Geelong-based federal senator Sarah Henderson said 734,000 jobs had been created over the past six months despite the impacts of Victoria’s second last year.

“Through JobKeeper and JobSeeker, we have allowed businesses to remain open and job seekers ready to take the next opportunity,” Ms Henderson said.

“This year, workforce challenges will be one of the biggest economic challenges we face as a nation.

“The Government’s $74 billion JobMaker Plan will be the key to answering that challenge. It is also why we committed almost $7 billion in skills funding alone since the onset of Covid-19.

“The Government has twice extended the Coronavirus Supplement at a total cost of more than $20 billion and to provide temporary, short-term financial assistance to help individuals and families and address the economic impacts of COVID-19.

“As the economy gets back on track, we are focused on striking a balance between temporary, enhanced support for unemployed Australians while at the same time as helping people to get back into the workforce through initiatives such as allowing people to earn more while on social security payments and our JobMaker hiring credits scheme.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local...

Protect our hoodies

More News

NATURE WATCH with Jen Carr

I was driving to Torquay one day and spotted a juvenile black-shouldered kite in a dead tree. I had to make a tricky u-turn...

Protect our hoodies

People travel thousands of kilometres to catch a glimpse of a blue whale or get up close and personal with a koala. But you may...

The stars are aligning

Great Wall's Haval H6 PHEV is the third plug-in hybrid that we have driven in as many weeks. Dating back to 2011, the third generation...

From the archives

17 years ago 20 February, 2009 A company is investigating potential for a wave power plant off the region’s coastline. Western Australia-based Carnegie Corporation is in talks...

Pickleball opens up

Pickleball is set to make a racket thanks to the official opening of a new outdoor venue in Portarlington this week. Drysdale...

The power of creativity (and robots)

Jolyon James’ stage show Robot Song centres on the story of a young autistic child, Juniper, struggling to find her place in the world. A...

Guitar legend amps up for tour

Nathan Cavaleri comes to Geelong this weekend as part of a 18-show tour of his new album Live at the Wheaty. Hailed as a blues-rock...

Grove cements top spot

Ocean Grove cemented its place at the top of Section 4 Mixed with a commanding 6-0 win over second placed Surfcoast Torquay in Tennis...

Community calendar

Austrian Club Geelong Alpine music featuring Alpen Musikanten, Sunday 22 February, noon-5pm. Tickets $20 ($15 members). Meals and drinks available. ■ Irmela 0435995 200 Book sale Uniting Grovedale,...

Grubbers land recruiting coup

Ocean Grove has pulled off a stunning recruiting coup with Gary Rohan set to wear the red and white this Bellarine Football League season. Rohan,...