Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsCharity opens new branch

Charity opens new branch

A Geelong charity celebrating its sixth anniversary is set to open a new branch in Queensland in time for National Diabetes Week beginning on Sunday.

Type 1 Foundation founder Ange Liston-Mccaughley on Wednesday flew to the Gold Coast, where her daughter Lila was diagnosed with diabetes in 2013, to launch the branch.

“We’ve got 350 people attending from all over Queensland,” she told the Independent, while waiting with her family for their flight.

Like many children with diabetes, Lila’s condition was initially misdiagnosed before her family went on holiday.

But her condition worsened on the vacation before Ange called an ambulance to take her to Gold Coast University Hospital. Doctors later said Lila had been an hour away from going into a coma.

The foundation is holding the launch at Sea World, where Lila’s family took her after her diagnosis to enjoy what was left of her holiday, Ange said.

“It’s awesome to think we’ve come this far and turned it into something positive.”

Ange was thrilled to be able to hold the launch given the looming threat of COVID-19 in recent weeks.

“The event’s been on-and-off, so it’s been pretty tricky,” she said.

She mailed 500 beanies in advance to Queensland to sell as part of Type 1 Foundation’s annual fundraiser, along with T-shirts, jumpers and caps.

“Last year we smashed 3000, so we thought we’d go for 4000 this year,” she said.

“We’ve got people selling beanies across Australia. We’re hoping everyone at the event will get behind it and grab one.”

Details: type1foundation.com.au

Luke Voogt

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...