Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndy‘No say’ for tours: Bells ban surprises bus operators

‘No say’ for tours: Bells ban surprises bus operators

By Erin Pearson
SURF Coast Shire failed to consult tour operators before announcing plans to kick buses out of Bells Beach Surfing Reserve, according to an industry representative.
Go West Bus Tour managing director Terry Smit said 40 per cent of his tours visited Bells but the shire only contacted him after revealing the buses plan last week.
Tourism industry operators wanted “mutually beneficial” facilities for buses and surfers, he said.
Tour operators were even willing to pay for access if the shire fixed the reserve’s “unreliable” toilet block, he said.
“I’m aware there has been an amount of agitation from surfers but I don’t think the coordination of discussion has been the way it should be.
“Any dislocation of our ability to visit Bells Beach would be undesirable. Buses parking 15 minutes down the road or in town isn’t viable.”
Mr Smit said operators would be happy to park in the eastern side of the reserve out of the existing area for buses if the shire provided facilities.
He defended his passengers against perceptions they were “bloodsucking non-contributors to the local community”.
They simply wanted to enjoy the beauty of the reserve, he said.
The shire began digging up bitumen and vegetation to improve parking bays for six coaches late last month.
Bells Beach Preservation Society President Maurice Cole said the shire had stonewalled both surfers and tourism operators.
“There has been little or no community consultation,” he said.
“The new parking arrangements installed the other week cost around $70,000 and just weeks later the shire is saying it’s considering removing buses from the reserve. What a waste of money.”
Barrister and former Bells Beach advisory committee member Andrew Dickenson was concerned the shire was rushing through changes to its Bells Beach master plan.
He believed the shire wanted the issue out of the spotlight before Easter’s Rip Curl Pro.
Mr Dickenson urged the shire to deal with the issues “properly”.
Surf Coast Shire refuses to answer questions from the Independent.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

NATURE WATCH with Jen Carr

I was driving to Torquay one day and spotted a juvenile black-shouldered kite in a dead tree. I had to make a tricky u-turn...

Protect our hoodies

From the archives

Pickleball opens up

More News

The stars are aligning

Great Wall's Haval H6 PHEV is the third plug-in hybrid that we have driven in as many weeks. Dating back to 2011, the third generation...

From the archives

17 years ago 20 February, 2009 A company is investigating potential for a wave power plant off the region’s coastline. Western Australia-based Carnegie Corporation is in talks...

Pickleball opens up

Pickleball is set to make a racket thanks to the official opening of a new outdoor venue in Portarlington this week. Drysdale...

The power of creativity (and robots)

Jolyon James’ stage show Robot Song centres on the story of a young autistic child, Juniper, struggling to find her place in the world. A...

Guitar legend amps up for tour

Nathan Cavaleri comes to Geelong this weekend as part of a 18-show tour of his new album Live at the Wheaty. Hailed as a blues-rock...

Grove cements top spot

Ocean Grove cemented its place at the top of Section 4 Mixed with a commanding 6-0 win over second placed Surfcoast Torquay in Tennis...

Community calendar

Austrian Club Geelong Alpine music featuring Alpen Musikanten, Sunday 22 February, noon-5pm. Tickets $20 ($15 members). Meals and drinks available. ■ Irmela 0435995 200 Book sale Uniting Grovedale,...

Grubbers land recruiting coup

Ocean Grove has pulled off a stunning recruiting coup with Gary Rohan set to wear the red and white this Bellarine Football League season. Rohan,...

Boy arrested over stabbing

Geelong Crime Investigation Unit detectives have arrested a boy following a stabbing in Geelong’s Little Malop Street yesterday afternoon. It is alleged a boy stabbed...

Why Australia’s Favourite Regional City is Leading the 2026 Jobs Boom

Geelong has been building momentum for years, but a turning point has arrived. Once seen as a city with potential, it now stands at...