Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyMake way for festival: Park trees ‘face chop’

Make way for festival: Park trees ‘face chop’

By Michelle Herbison
BOROUGH of Queenscliffe should rethink its decision to chop down three trees to make way for the town’s music festival, according to a councillor.
Cr David Mitchell said he would ask his colleagues to reconsider axing a willow myrtle and two Norfolk pines in Princess Park.
Council approved the tree removal earlier this month following a recommendation from its vegetation advisory group.
Mayor Bob Merriman said Cr Mitchell and Cr Lloyd Davies were outvoted on the trees.
Cr Mitchell said council’s meeting agenda included a diagram showing the trees in the way of festival’s existing 45m by 45m Lighthouse Stage tent.
But the festival would next year use a 40m by 55m tent, potentially saving one tree.
“I’ve now seen the footprint of the larger tent. It would appear the tree number two Norfolk pine, which has caused me the greatest concern, is outside the footprint of the larger tent.”
Queenscliff Music Festival director Michael Currucan said the event would pay for plantings to replace the felled trees.
Using next year’s “longer, thinner tent” would require a reshuffle of other infrastructure, he said.
“We would need to move the VIP area over to that side and it would be smack bang where that tree is. In this year’s scenario, that Norfolk pine is where we’re trying to park trucks because there’s a loading dock going right through the middle of it.”
Mr Currucan said the three trees were placed at “random” and he had requested their removal to ease layout plans.
“It means we’re not digging up the road to fit a tent there and it can be orientated a little bit more out to sea as well.”
Mr Currucan said the “beautiful” trees at Princess Park were a factor in the decision to relocate the festival from JL Jordan Reserve last year, he said.
“People can enjoy that park over the weekend then think about coming back to the town, which is one of the primary goals of the festival.”
But Mr Currucan said he “wasn’t sweating” on the removal of the trees.
“If the trees went they went. If they didn’t we’d work around them. We just wanted something better for that whole area.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

From the archives

17 years ago 20 February, 2009 A company is investigating potential for a wave power plant off the region’s coastline. Western Australia-based Carnegie Corporation is in talks...

Pickleball opens up

More News

The power of creativity (and robots)

Jolyon James’ stage show Robot Song centres on the story of a young autistic child, Juniper, struggling to find her place in the world. A...

Guitar legend amps up for tour

Nathan Cavaleri comes to Geelong this weekend as part of a 18-show tour of his new album Live at the Wheaty. Hailed as a blues-rock...

Grove cements top spot

Ocean Grove cemented its place at the top of Section 4 Mixed with a commanding 6-0 win over second placed Surfcoast Torquay in Tennis...

Community calendar

Austrian Club Geelong Alpine music featuring Alpen Musikanten, Sunday 22 February, noon-5pm. Tickets $20 ($15 members). Meals and drinks available. ■ Irmela 0435995 200 Book sale Uniting Grovedale,...

Grubbers land recruiting coup

Ocean Grove has pulled off a stunning recruiting coup with Gary Rohan set to wear the red and white this Bellarine Football League season. Rohan,...

Boy arrested over stabbing

Geelong Crime Investigation Unit detectives have arrested a boy following a stabbing in Geelong’s Little Malop Street yesterday afternoon. It is alleged a boy stabbed...

Why Australia’s Favourite Regional City is Leading the 2026 Jobs Boom

Geelong has been building momentum for years, but a turning point has arrived. Once seen as a city with potential, it now stands at...

Cleaning up litter

People can help keep the region’s beaches, foreshores and marine environment clean during the upcoming Clean Up Australia Day. Clean-up events will...

Convoy for kids

Hundreds of trucks will take to Geelong’s streets this weekend to raise money for families impacted by childhood cancer. The 11th annual...

Celebration of life in the north

A new exhibition delving into the heart of Norlane will open at Platform Arts this weekend. Led by artists Laura Alice and Yuhui Ng Rodriguez,...