Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyEbola incident just a drill, MP claims

Ebola incident just a drill, MP claims

By NOEL MURPHY

A SUSPECTED Ebola case transported by ambulance to Geelong Hospital last month was a drill, according to Bellarine MP and former Barwon Health chair Lisa Neville.
But Ambulance Employees of Australia has told the Independent it knew nothing of the incident, while a health care professional who photographed the transfer and showed the images to the Independent insisted the incident was not a drill.
“This was only a practice scenario to ensure preparedness – no actual or possible case of Ebola in Geelong,” Ms Neville said.
“I give you 100 per cent guarantee it was a practice run. A practice means some people involved have to believe it’s real.”
Ms Neville’s comments followed the Independent revealing that ambulance officers went into biohazard emergency mode when they transported the suspected Ebola suffererer to Geelong Hospital on 13 March.
The man, recently returned from a cruise-ship tour that took in Africa, had displayed flu-like symptoms, the witness told the Independent on condition of anonymity.
Ambulance crews took biohazard precautions when transferring the patient to hospital.
The private photographs presented to the Independent showed health staff in head-to-toe protective gear wheeling a passenger on a gurney into emergency.
The witness said ambulance officers had adopted biohazard precautions because they were concerned they might have been “at potential risk”, given the patient’s recent travel itinerary.
Barwon Health criticised the 3 April report on social media, saying it “could be misconstrued and create panic in our community unnecessarily”. The Barwon Health comments made no mention of any drill or practice run.
The witness said ambulance officers had adopted biohazard precautions because they were concerned they might have been “at potential risk”, given the patient’s recent travel itinerary.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Guitar legend amps up for tour

Nathan Cavaleri comes to Geelong this weekend as part of a 18-show tour of his new album Live at the Wheaty. Hailed as a blues-rock...

Community calendar

More News

Community calendar

Austrian Club Geelong Alpine music featuring Alpen Musikanten, Sunday 22 February, noon-5pm. Tickets $20 ($15 members). Meals and drinks available. ■ Irmela 0435995 200 Book sale Uniting Grovedale,...

Grubbers land recruiting coup

Ocean Grove has pulled off a stunning recruiting coup with Gary Rohan set to wear the red and white this Bellarine Football League season. Rohan,...

Boy arrested over stabbing

Geelong Crime Investigation Unit detectives have arrested a boy following a stabbing in Geelong’s Little Malop Street yesterday afternoon. It is alleged a boy stabbed...

Why Australia’s Favourite Regional City is Leading the 2026 Jobs Boom

Geelong has been building momentum for years, but a turning point has arrived. Once seen as a city with potential, it now stands at...

Cleaning up litter

People can help keep the region’s beaches, foreshores and marine environment clean during the upcoming Clean Up Australia Day. Clean-up events will...

Convoy for kids

Hundreds of trucks will take to Geelong’s streets this weekend to raise money for families impacted by childhood cancer. The 11th annual...

Celebration of life in the north

A new exhibition delving into the heart of Norlane will open at Platform Arts this weekend. Led by artists Laura Alice and Yuhui Ng Rodriguez,...

Norway rewards in the depths of winter

Independent news editor and Barwon Heads resident Justin Flynn recently ventured to Norway in winter and says a trip to the Scandinavian country during...

Paige’s journey towards remission

A St Leonards teenager’s life was turned upside down last year after she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. Paige Mackenzie,...

School bus concerns

Geelong mayor Stretch Kontelj has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to travel...