Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsCamping out in a crisis

Camping out in a crisis

Shane King went camping in the backyard to keep his three girls entertained, as coronavirus restrictions tightened this week.

He’s one of hundreds of parents around Geelong coming up with innovative ways to keep kids entertained during social distancing rules.

Putting up the tent for Zara, 6, Grace, 3, and Olivia, 15 months, was partly “self-motivated”, the Bell Park real estate agent admitted.

“I just wanted to get them out of the house so I could work with a bit of peace and quiet,” he laughed.

“It’s easier having them playing in the tent than to do video calls to the office with the kids on my knee.

“I’ll probably leave it up if the weather’s good. I daresay I’ll have to go and sleep in it one night with them.”

Camping was just one of the activities Shane had devised for his girls – so far they’ve made Easter hats and painted a new planter box with an “interesting” colour scheme.

“It doesn’t matter what it looks like so long as they’re happy,” he said.

Keeping his “active” kids entertained without resorting to a screen could be challenging, he said.

“All things considered, they’re coping really well – kids are pretty resilient – but they are complaining about being bored.”

He said the kids were frustrated they could not visit their grandparents, his partner Dana’s elderly parents, who live five minutes down the road.

Shane and Dana had stopped by to drop off supplies and check on her parents, staying outside the house to keep them safe, he said.

Shane said he was lucky he has been able to continue working for Harcourts North Geelong from home.

“We’re certainly very fortunate that I can still do my job – obviously you’ve got to change how you do it.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Cruise North America

Take in historic cities and rugged shores with Viking’s 15-day Canada and East Coast Explorer voyage from Toronto, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida or...

Out and about

More News

A vibrant Chinese New Year

Geelong will celebrate the year of the horse with a vibrant cultural takeover of the city centre for the Lunar New Year. Chinese...

Hoodie resilience inspires

There are two pairs of hooded plovers along Buckley Park Foreshore that have two chicks each. One pair, PL (orange) and unbanded, have a habitat...

Out and about

Voice photographer Ivan Kemp thought there might be some activity at Ocean Grove main beach on Tuesday 17 February before the cool change swept...

Mixing authors with kids

Geelong students can participate in an inspiring literary program and meet celebrated children’s authors. State Library Victoria’s Young Regional Writers’ Program will bring...

Community digs deep for defib

Regional stakeholders have banded together to provide life-saving equipment to the Jan Juc community. A new automated external defibrillator (AED), donated by a local primary...

Fairytale return for Two Blues spinner

More than three years after his last 1st XI appearance and after a string of horrific leg injuries, Newtown & Chilwell spinner Chris Williams...

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and Teesdale and at Ray Menzies Oval as...

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...