Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsMissing 77-year-old homeless man needs medical help

Missing 77-year-old homeless man needs medical help

Police are “really worried” for a missing 77-year-old homeless man last seen in Geelong two weeks ago.

Missing man Paul Kelly was last sighted at Geelong’s Westfield Shopping Centre on 13 June during the afternoon, according to police.

Acting Senior Sergeant Dean Parrello said Mr Kelly has a medical condition and was living at a Geelong medical facility before his disappearance.

“He had been in a medical facility for a short period of time, and prior to that he was homeless,” he said.

“We hold concerns for his welfare as he requires medical attention. Because of his condition and he’s been out so long out in the cold, we are really worried about him.

“He was seen with a tent so hopefully he has something to sleep in.”

Sen Sgt Parello said the medical facility alerted police of Mr Kelly’s disappearance after he discharged himself from the centre.

“He contacted the medical facility to say he wasn’t coming back,” he said.

Sen Sgt Parello believes Mr Kelly requires further medical treatment and uses a wheelchair.

“He is able to walk. I think (with) the medical condition he’s got at the moment the wheelchair assists him,” he said.

Sen Sgt Parello said Mr Kelly has “no contacts” in the area and could be travelling to Torquay by public transport.

“He’s got no family, unfortunately, he is homeless,” he said.

“We know he had hung out a little bit in Torquay – but where, and who with we don’t know.

“He’s a rough sleeper and frequents the Dandenong, Frankston, Cranbourne and Melbourne CBD areas.”

Investigators described Mr Kelly as having a thin build, blue eyes, shaved head, long white beard and a bandage on his left leg.

Police released an image of Mr Kelly last Saturday in hope someone recognises him.

“We just want him to be warm and safe and if he is safe just to let us know,” Sen Sgt Parello said.

“We’ve sent out a circular to all the police in the state hoping that they’d find them in their patrols.”

Sen Sgt Parello urged anyone with information on Mr Kelly’s whereabouts to immediately call crime stoppers on 1800 333 000 or their local police station.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...