Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeSportTennis Geelong cancels winter finals

Tennis Geelong cancels winter finals

Tennis Geelong has cancelled its winter finals with Victoria’s COVID-19 restrictions continuing to prohibit community sporting competitions.

The organisation had planned to postpone finals, which were initially scheduled for late August before regional Victoria plunged into its most recent lockdown.

But last week’s easing of restrictions only allowed training for community sport, preventing the men’s, senior mixed and junior finals from going ahead.

“This winter season has been incredibly difficult for everyone involved, especially when finals had to be cancelled with only 12 hours’ notice,” Tennis Geelong president Donna Schoenmaekers said.

“Tennis Geelong had every intention of seeing the Saturday winter season to its conclusion, but with so many anomalies and the inability to play finals, this was just not possible.”

Tennis Geelong decided against awarding premiers based on season ladders, declaring restrictions had forced the cancellation of too many rounds for the ladders to be “truly representative” of each section.

Teams in various sections missed up to six matches resulting from restrictions and weather.

In six sections first and second did not play each other during the season, with two sections having two teams undefeated.

Three sections had the top two teams equal on points and separated by percentage only, while in 11 other sections the top two were less than four points apart.

“[These] factors meant that the ladders for most sections do not provide an accurate reflection of the team positions within the sections,” Schoenmaekers said.

“This is an unfortunate way to end the Saturday winter seasons, however, we believe that it’s the fairest outcome.

“Tennis Geelong has the Tuesday midweek competition on-hold, and is awaiting advice as to when this may resume.

“We have an increased number of teams registered for the upcoming Saturday summer season, and we are hopeful that this will be able to start on time on October 9.”

The organisation has pledged to waive team entry fees for 2021-22 summer season due to the cancelled winter season.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...