Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeSportGeelong ‘alert but not alarmed’

Geelong ‘alert but not alarmed’

Geelong coach Chris Scott said he is “alert but not alarmed” by his side’s form in recent weeks.

Scott shrugged off suggestions Geelong were facing a slump after losing two of the last three games following the mid-season bye.

“The season was always going to be one of ebbs and flows,” he said.

“We’d like to be playing better, but I don’t think we’re going that badly.”

Scott said the team had been focussing on playing a “sustainable” style of football.

“Historically the really good teams have a system that stands up irrespective of what the opposition are trying to do.”

Geelong suffered a shock 16-point loss to Western Bulldogs last Saturday night at Marvel Stadium.

Despite being a man down with defender Jake Kolojashnij receiving a concussion in the first quarter, the Cats lead for most of the match.

Geelong was 10 points up at three-quarter time, until the Dogs hit the front for the first time at the 11-minute mark in the last quarter.

Scott said his team, the league’s highest-scoring side, uncharacteristically struggled to convert in front of goal.

“We didn’t score very well, we scored 50-odd points which is very unusual for us,” he said.

Following the loss, the ladder-leaders have a one-game buffer ahead of second-placed West Coast.

The Cats will now turn their focus to host St Kilda at GMHBA Stadium on Saturday night.

St Kilda have struggled with poor form in recent weeks, with a 39-point loss to the Kangaroos last Sunday their third in a row.

But Scott said the Saints “pressure well” and at their best are a “competitive” team.

“Some fundamental parts of their game are pretty strong,” Scott said.

The clash will have extra significance for Geelong, who will wear orange-branded socks in support of the Just Think campaign against alcohol-fuelled violence.

With seven games remaining in the home-and-away season, superstar Patrick Dangerfield said the group remains level-headed approaching the latter end of the year.

“Whether you’re winning games of footy or losing, you take the emotion out of the result,” he told the media this week.

“You can’t afford to look too far ahead, our focus has always remained narrow. We won’t take any opposition lightly.”

 

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...