Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsHospitality jobs crisis

Hospitality jobs crisis

Geelong hospitality businesses are facing significant worker shortages with masses leaving the industry for more stable work throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.

The shortages have hamstrung the ability of restaurants, cafes and pubs to rebound by capitalising on easing restrictions, according to Geelong Chamber of Commerce chief executive Ben Flynn.

“Continued restrictions and lockdowns are affecting hospitality more than any other industry, and many of their employees are casual,” he said.

“A lot of people have left the industry, and it’s heartbreaking for those businesses dealing with restrictions and then not being able to scale up when they’re finally allowed to.

“They’re in a position where they’re unable to take bookings because they don’t have enough chefs or waiters to serve customers.”

Telegraph Hotel owner Sam Longo said his venue had been “a seven-day operation pre-COVID” but had reduced its opening days to five.

With the constant threat of lockdown, many hospitality workers had left the industry to find more stable work like stacking shelves in supermarkets, he said.

“They don’t know when they’re going to get work and that’s why we’ve had so many people leave the industry.

“Before COVID we 40 staff and seven chefs. Now we’ve got 30 staff and five chefs.

“We’re lucky we haven’t lost a lot of people. It’s very difficult to find chefs and front-of-house people.”

Fishermen’s Pier managing director Paul Ramia feared worker shortages would prevent his business from rebounding when COVID-19 restrictions eased further.

“The industry’s really struggling to find staff,” he said.

“Pre-COVID I’d put an ad out and I’d get 50 or 60 people apply for a job, now I’m lucky to get five or six.”

Like Mr Longo, he had heard of many workers leaving the industry to work in supermarkets or as prison guards.

Mr Flynn said investment in hospitality training would be vital to help businesses recover after COVID-19.

“Governments working with local training organisations to address these shortage gaps is something we’re hugely advocating for,” he said.

“I know that places like The Gordon [TAFE] are very much on the front foot in addressing some of these skills gaps.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...