Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsCouncil budget unrest

Council budget unrest

Geelong council’s unveiling of its 2024-25 draft budget was marred by significant pushback from some councillors at its Tuesday night meeting this week.

The proposed budget, which is aimed at providing long-term financial sustainability for the municipality, came under fire from councillors for proposing a $3.4 million deficit.

Key highlights from the budget include measures to reduce the City’s debt through the sale of non-core assets, maintaining and investing in existing assets, free two-hour parking in central Geelong and a reduced rate increase of 2.5 per cent in response to the cost of living crisis.

Councillors were also concerned about the short amount of time they had been given to read and absorb the draft budget before being called to present it to the community.

Corio Ward councillor Anthony Aitken was the most vocal opponent of the draft budget, first unsuccessfully trying to defer the presentation of the budget for a week, then proposing six separate amendments to it, which were also voted down.

Cr Aitken said of the 16 budgets he had been involved with in his time on the council, this was the one he felt the most “ill-informed” about.

“I only received my budget papers on Thursday of last week; for an opportunity to look over it during the Easter period is not acceptable for the size of the budget and the responsibility that an individual has as a councillor to make a decision,” Cr Aitken said.

“I’m requesting that it be formally deferred until at least Friday the second of May… so I can be better informed as a councillor, to have my questions that I have submitted properly answered and also to have confidence the budget reflects my values… and (those of) the community I represent.”

Other councillors voiced support for, or recognition of Cr Aitken’s concerns, with Melissa Cadwell supporting Cr Aitken with many of his proposed changes.

Eddy Kontelj said while he did not support Cr Aitken’s amendments, he had “the same criticism… that I don’t feel we’ve had enough time to work through it”.

The draft budget, which was ultimately approved for presentation, comes after a report from municipal monitors recommending the council take measures to “improve long-term financial stability”.

Those recommendations were reflected in the proposed budget, which mayor Stretch Kontelj said focused on “structural reform of finances”.

“We are committed to delivering essential services and renewing infrastructure without burdening our community with excessive debt,” Mayor Kontelj said.

“This budget, our first as a council, will ensure we can continue to deliver much-needed services and infrastructure for our community while prioritising long-term fiscal responsibility.

“This will create capacity to adapt to future economic challenges and opportunities, with the decisions we make now set to shape our region’s finances over the next decade and beyond.”

The proposed budget is open for community feedback via geelong.link/Budget2025-26 until 5pm on Wednesday, May 21.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Understanding the wetlands

Bellarine community members have a better understanding of wetland values thanks to strong support during Ramsar Week. More than 200 people engaged...
More News

Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local...

Crack down on dodgy drivers

New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday...

NATURE WATCH with Jen Carr

I was driving to Torquay one day and spotted a juvenile black-shouldered kite in a dead tree. I had to make a tricky u-turn...

Protect our hoodies

People travel thousands of kilometres to catch a glimpse of a blue whale or get up close and personal with a koala. But you may...

The stars are aligning

Great Wall's Haval H6 PHEV is the third plug-in hybrid that we have driven in as many weeks. Dating back to 2011, the third generation...

From the archives

17 years ago 20 February, 2009 A company is investigating potential for a wave power plant off the region’s coastline. Western Australia-based Carnegie Corporation is in talks...

Pickleball opens up

Pickleball is set to make a racket thanks to the official opening of a new outdoor venue in Portarlington this week. Drysdale...

The power of creativity (and robots)

Jolyon James’ stage show Robot Song centres on the story of a young autistic child, Juniper, struggling to find her place in the world. A...

Guitar legend amps up for tour

Nathan Cavaleri comes to Geelong this weekend as part of a 18-show tour of his new album Live at the Wheaty. Hailed as a blues-rock...

Grove cements top spot

Ocean Grove cemented its place at the top of Section 4 Mixed with a commanding 6-0 win over second placed Surfcoast Torquay in Tennis...