Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsFord site in 'jobs bonanza'

Ford site in ‘jobs bonanza’

Multi-million dollar redevelopments of Geelong’s and Broadmeadow’s former Ford factories could create up to 5000 jobs, the sites’ new owner has estimated.

Pelligra Group representatives visited the Geelong factory on Thursday after purchasing it from Ford last week to develop it into a hi-tech manufacturing hub.

Company chairman Ross Pelligra anticipated the first manufacturing tenants would start work on site within a year.

“We are committed to ultimately delivering 4000 to 5000 jobs in the next five to 10 years,” he said.

The family-owned property developer has committed an initial $500 million for stage one its FORTEK Geelong and ASSEMBLY Broadmeadows projects.

Ford put the factories up for sale last September and industry sources at the time estimated their total worth at $75 million.

The Indy understands the sale price to exceed that amount.

A spokesperson for Pelligra Group confirmed the $500 million deal included the sale price but declined to reveal the exact figure.

Pelligra will subdivide the FORTEK and ASSEMBLY sites, with Ford to retain its research, design and engineering facilities.

Stage one of the projects would create up to 2000 jobs in Geelong and Broadmeadows, Mr Pelligra estimated.

“Through our investment in the area, we intend to help rejuvenate and grow the local community, and create industry-leading hubs with world-class innovation, engineering, and manufacturing on site.”

Pelligra Group’s plans for the sites and appreciation of their histories were the key reasons for the company winning its bid to purchase them, Mr Pelligra said.

“FORTEK Geelong and ASSEMBLY Broadmeadows are significant historical manufacturing sites.“

Ford would retain its You Yangs proving ground where about 1600 of its 2000 Australian employees design and develop vehicles, the company announced.

Ford would invest more than $500 million in 2019 in Australia, directly supporting its operations in Geelong, Lara and Broadmeadows, Ford Australia and New Zealand chief executive officer, Kay Hart said.

The sites had played a central role in Australian automotive history, Ms Hart said.

“We are pleased that Pelligra Group will build on Ford’s ongoing engineering and design presence by adding new opportunities for innovation, ideas and business in Geelong and Broadmeadows.”

The two sites occupy a combined area of 100 hectares, including more than 265,000 square metres of factory floor.

Pelligra will retrofit the existing infrastructure to accommodate manufacturing and technology businesses, with the first tenants anticipated to be on site within a year.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...