Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsVouchers drive tourism revival

Vouchers drive tourism revival

Geelong’s tourism board has labelled a second round of regional travel vouchers as the “most important” for the local sector’s COVID-19 recovery.

State government on Wednesday announced the release of another 40,000 $200 vouchers, redeemable from January 27 to April 1.

Tourism Greater Geelong and the Bellarine executive director Brett Ince said the latest round would help make up for a shortfall of events due to COVID-related cancellations.

“We’re a region that is very much built on events,” Mr Ince said.

The cancellation or postponement of major events such as the Pako Festa street parade or Avalon Airshow would reduce local tourism revenue, Mr Ince said.

But the vouchers would encourage visitors to spend longer in the region to enjoy other attractions such as wineries, galleries and amusement parks instead, he said.

“We are hopeful that it will entice Melburnians to come out to our region and experience something that they never have.

“Round two and round three are really important for Geelong and the Bellarine to drive that extra night for short-stay visitation.”

The vouchers will help the local sector’s recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic, which cost Geelong and the Bellarine Peninsula $280 million in tourism revenue in its first three months alone.

The Surf Coast was one of the most popular destinations for those who redeemed a voucher in the first round of the program, according to preliminary data.

Mr Ince acknowledged the first 70,000 vouchers, along with the dismantling of the ‘ring of steel’ around Melbourne, boosted summer tourism in the region.

“But many of the visitors during the summer peak were coming anyway, [including] holiday home owners or annual holiday-makers,” he said.

Mr Ince said this round of vouchers would encourage Melburnians to visit well into the “shoulder season”.

Most people claiming vouchers spent about $1000 on accommodation, tours or attractions on their trip, in addition to petrol, food and supplies, according to state government.

Travellers must spend a minimum $400 on accommodation in regional Victoria and stay at least two nights to qualify for the vouchers.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Cleaning up litter

People can help keep the region’s beaches, foreshores and marine environment clean during the upcoming Clean Up Australia Day. Clean-up events will...

Convoy for kids

More News

Celebration of life in the north

A new exhibition delving into the heart of Norlane will open at Platform Arts this weekend. Led by artists Laura Alice and Yuhui Ng Rodriguez,...

Norway rewards in the depths of winter

Independent news editor and Barwon Heads resident Justin Flynn recently ventured to Norway in winter and says a trip to the Scandinavian country during...

Paige’s journey towards remission

A St Leonards teenager’s life was turned upside down last year after she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. Paige Mackenzie,...

School bus concerns

Geelong mayor Stretch Kontelj has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to travel...

Cruise North America

Take in historic cities and rugged shores with Viking’s 15-day Canada and East Coast Explorer voyage from Toronto, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida or...

Teen stabbed in Geelong

A teenage boy was taken to hospital with serious injuries this afternoon after being stabbed in Geelong’s Malop Street. Officers were called to the scene...

A vibrant Chinese New Year

Geelong will celebrate the year of the horse with a vibrant cultural takeover of the city centre for the Lunar New Year. Chinese...

Hoodie resilience inspires

There are two pairs of hooded plovers along Buckley Park Foreshore that have two chicks each. One pair, PL (orange) and unbanded, have a habitat...

Out and about

Voice photographer Ivan Kemp thought there might be some activity at Ocean Grove main beach on Tuesday 17 February before the cool change swept...

Mixing authors with kids

Geelong students can participate in an inspiring literary program and meet celebrated children’s authors. State Library Victoria’s Young Regional Writers’ Program will bring...