By Luke Voogt
A Norlane man faces charges over a shooting that injured two men last week after police arrested him at a gathering that breached COVID-19 restrictions.
Armed Crime Squad detectives arrested Seifu Schuster, 38, on Saturday after two men last week sustained gunshot wounds in the Geelong area, police said.
Detectives charged Mr Schuster with intentionally causing serious injury, intentionally causing injury, reckless conduct endangering life and being a prohibited person using a firearm, in relation to the incident.
They also charged him with trafficking methylamphetamines, dealing in proceeds of crime and possessing a prohibited weapon (knuckle-dusters).
Mr Schuster did not apply for bail when he appeared briefly in Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Sunday and was remanded in custody.
He is scheduled to face Geelong Magistrates’ Court in December.
The shooting victims, a 37-year-old man from Norlane and a 26-year-old man from Clarkson, Western Australia, attended University Hospital Geelong with non-life-threatening gunshot wounds just before 2am on Thursday.
The 26-year-old spent days recovering in hospital while a Barwon Health spokesperson on Thursday confirmed the 37-year-old had left the hospital that day.
After receiving a callout to the hospital, police began investigating the incident.
Detectives arrested Mr Schuster at a home on Kookaburra Court, Norlane, where they found 10 people in breach of COVID-19 restrictions, police said.
The officers issued $1652 penalty notices to 10 people at the residence for breaching the directions of the Chief Health Officer, police said.