Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsCouncil closes facilities

Council closes facilities

Pools, theatres, museums, markets and council-run community centres closed across Geelong today as Victoria’s latest lockdown came into effect.

Prior to the lockdown yesterday council announced its leisure and customer service centres along with Belmont Market, Geelong Carousel, the Potato Shed, the National Wool Museum and The fOrT would close for the duration of the five-day snap lockdown.

“It is very tough to be placed in lockdown again, and once again we are feeling for the businesses and workers impacted, along with everyone who’ll be in isolation over the coming days,” Geelong mayor Stephanie Asher said.

Council will keep its childcare centres open for parents working in essential services outside their homes, in line with Victoria’s new restrictions.

The council announcement comes as Victoria recorded six new cases yesterday, with another four already reported that day.

All 10 cases are linked to current outbreaks, with 33,129 Victorians getting tested yesterday, according to the Department of Health. Victoria currently has 36 active cases.

Three members of a Barwon Heads family were confirmed as positive cases earlier this week after the father interacted with a positive case related to the Ariele Apartments outbreak in Melbourne.

According to department, one of the latest confirmed cases is a pupil at Barwon Heads Primary School who attended on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.

The school was identified as a tier one exposure site and closed for cleaning.

Barwon Heads Village Park was also listed as tier one exposure site after one of the cases attended football training on Monday from 4.30pm to 6pm.

Players and coaches must get tested immediately and quarantine for 14 days, while spectators must get tested immediately and isolate until they receive a negative result.

The department initially issued the warning for Howard Harmer Oval in the caravan park, but the exposure was later confirmed to be at the Village Park complex off Geelong Road East.

Officeworks in Waurn Ponds was also listed as a tier two exposure site, with anyone who visited the store on Sunday from 1.30pm to 2.30pm needing to get tested and isolate until they receive their result.

A positive case also visited an APCO service station, identified as a tier two exposure site, in Highton between 2.10pm and 2.45pm last Sunday.

Cr Asher urged residents who have visited any local exposure sites during the relevant period to get tested for COVID-19.

“Greater Geelong is in a more precarious position this time given the local exposure sites, so it’s especially important for everyone to be vigilant and don’t delay getting tested if you’ve been at an exposure site or you’re experiencing symptoms,” she said.

“Hopefully, with another dedicated combined effort, this latest outbreak will be contained quickly and the restrictions lifted.”

The department has also updated exposure site listings for anyone who attended the Carlton versus Geelong game at the MCG last Saturday, July 10.

The Percy Beames Bar on Level 2 of the MCC Members’ Reserve is now a classified a Tier 1 exposure site between 4:00 and 4:30pm, and between 5:20 and 5:50pm.

All other sections of the MCC Members’ Reserve are now classified as a Tier 2 exposure site.

More details on exposure sites: coronavirus.vic.gov.au/exposure-sites

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...