Pool company penalised

A swimming pool company has been penalised for a range of offences in relation to building a pool in Newtown.

Franklin Pools Australia Pty Ltd was penalised $16,000 by the Victorian Building Authority (VBA) for building without a permit in relation to a swimming pool at Newtown, working without insurance and demanding payment before being entitled to it.

Franklin Pools Australia’s nominee director David Franklin was also ordered to undertake training within the next 12 months.

The VBA’s Regulatory Operations Executive Director David Brockman said practitioners need to have a sound understanding of the rules and abide by them if they wish to operate.

“Swimming pool safety is critical, getting it wrong can be a matter of life or death,” Mr Brockman said.

“It is important that any practitioners who are building pools know the rules and follow the proper process. This helps protect the safety of consumers and promotes trust in the industry.”

Mr Brockman said that practitioners and companies must not build without a valid permit and must always ensure that one has been issued before doing any work.

“Working without a permit will not only cost you and your clients money, it could put you and members of the community in danger if a site hasn’t been approved for work,” he said.

“Pool fencing is a vital safety measure to keep Victorians, especially children, safe.

“In the last two decades, more than 20 young children have drowned in cases where a non-compliant safety barrier has been a factor. These are preventable tragedies.”

In Victoria, the design, construction and installation of new swimming pools, spas and safety barriers are subject to strict requirements to maximise safety.

Franklin Pools Australia Pty Ltd and Compass Pools Pty Ltd can apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for review of the respective decisions.

The VBA has an online consumer resource portal with information for anyone who experiences issues with builders or plumbers.

Victorians can visit vba.vic.gov.au/check to make sure their builder or plumber is registered or licensed.