Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsNo new cases for Geelong as Victoria records increase of three

No new cases for Geelong as Victoria records increase of three

Geelong and the Surf Coast recorded no new COVID-19 cases in the past 24 hours as the number of Victorians to contract the disease rose by just three.

Confirmed coronavirus cases remained on 60 for greater Geelong while Surf Coast cases remained on 10, as of midnight last night, according to the Department of Health and Human Services.

The department reported no new deaths yesterday. Fourteen Victorians, aged from their 50s to their 80s, have died so far after contracting the disease.

The rise of three brought the state total to 1268, including 660 males and 608 females. Cases range in age from babies to their early nineties.

In Victoria 119 confirmed cases may have been acquired through community transmission with more than 69,000 tests conducted to date, according to the department.

“Currently 44 people are in hospital – including 16 patients in intensive care – and 1015 people have recovered,” the department said.

Of the total 1268 cases, 1015 occurred in Melbourne and 234 in regional Victoria. Several cases remain under investigation.

The slowdown in the spread comes as Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews today extended the State of Emergency until May 11 to “save lives”.

Before the announcement the State of Emergency had been due to end on Monday.

“There are positive signs our efforts are working – but if we relax now, our hard-won gains will evaporate and people will die,” Mr Andrews said.

“This is an unprecedented crisis – we need to extend the State of Emergency to help slow the spread of the virus, protect our health system and save lives.”

Under the State of Emergency Victorians are only permitted to leave for food and supplies, medical care and care-giving, exercise, and work or education.

Police can issue on-the-spot fines, including up to $1652 for individuals and up to $9913 for businesses.

Under the State of Emergency people can also face fines of up to $20,000 in court. Companies face fines of up to $100,000.

Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton urged Victorians to stay vigilant during the long weekend.

“The rules are clear – and they don’t change over Easter: if you can stay at home, you must stay at home,” Professor Sutton said.

“This is tough for many families, but no Easter holiday is worth a life.

“This is not a normal Easter. Travelling, visiting friends, heading to the beach or staying in regional Victoria could see all our hard-won gains evaporate.”

More than 450 people will leave their city hotel in a staged procedure today following 14 days of mandatory quarantine as returned international travellers.

The exit from quarantine will be managed to maintain appropriate physical distancing across a large number of people.

People are being supported to travel home or to other states, according to the department.

Department of Health and Human Services COVID-19 hotline: 1800 675 398.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Understanding the wetlands

Bellarine community members have a better understanding of wetland values thanks to strong support during Ramsar Week. More than 200 people engaged...
More News

Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local...

Crack down on dodgy drivers

New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday...

NATURE WATCH with Jen Carr

I was driving to Torquay one day and spotted a juvenile black-shouldered kite in a dead tree. I had to make a tricky u-turn...

Protect our hoodies

People travel thousands of kilometres to catch a glimpse of a blue whale or get up close and personal with a koala. But you may...

The stars are aligning

Great Wall's Haval H6 PHEV is the third plug-in hybrid that we have driven in as many weeks. Dating back to 2011, the third generation...

From the archives

17 years ago 20 February, 2009 A company is investigating potential for a wave power plant off the region’s coastline. Western Australia-based Carnegie Corporation is in talks...

Pickleball opens up

Pickleball is set to make a racket thanks to the official opening of a new outdoor venue in Portarlington this week. Drysdale...

The power of creativity (and robots)

Jolyon James’ stage show Robot Song centres on the story of a young autistic child, Juniper, struggling to find her place in the world. A...

Guitar legend amps up for tour

Nathan Cavaleri comes to Geelong this weekend as part of a 18-show tour of his new album Live at the Wheaty. Hailed as a blues-rock...

Grove cements top spot

Ocean Grove cemented its place at the top of Section 4 Mixed with a commanding 6-0 win over second placed Surfcoast Torquay in Tennis...