Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsMayor bids emerge

Mayor bids emerge

The race for Geelong’s next mayor is shaping as a contest between two contenders ahead of Tuesday’s in-house election.

Deputy mayor Peter Murrihy confirmed his interest this week, expecting to face two-time mayoral candidate Stephanie Asher.

“Absolutely I’ll be throwing my hat in the ring,” Cr Murrihy told the Indy.

“I suspect that councillor Asher will nominate. I think maybe she’ll be the only other one.”

Cr Asher told the Indy she was “likely” to nominate.

“I’ve had some councilors ask me to do so, so I’m feeling encouraged to run,” she said.

Last month councillor Anthony Aitken expressed interest in running as deputy to Eddy Kontelj as mayor but declined comment further this week.

Cr Kontelj recently told the Indy the possibility of him vying for the role remained “very much open”.

“I’m still considering my options and seeing who else puts their hand up first.”

Cr Kontelj could declare late if he “wasn’t satisfied” with the candidates, he said.

“If I felt that what had been put forward may not deliver for the city and community for the level that is needed, then I would put my hand up.”

Crs Ron Nelson, Pat Murnane, Sarah Mansfield and Trent Sullivan have confirmed they will not nominate.

The Indy was unable to contact Mayor Bruce Harwood about his intentions.

He was recently granted a week’s leave from council duties, commencing the day after councillors’ mayoral vote.

Crs Jim Mason and Kylie Grzybek have previously indicated they were yet to decide on whether they would nominate but the Indy was unable to contact them this week about any decisions.

The new mayor and deputy will serve until the next council elections.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...