By Luke Voogt
Geelong has no active COVID-19 cases amid the biggest daily increase in Victoria since the pandemic began.
Greater Geelong had no active cases as of midnight on Saturday, according to the Department of Health and Human Services, which revised the figure on Sunday.
Active Geelong cases remained at zero as of midnight on Sunday, despite Victoria recording 127 new cases yesterday, the department said today.
The rise eclipses the previous highest daily increase of 111 cases recorded in late March.
The department reclassified three cases meaning an overall increase of 124, which brought the state total to 2660, including 645 currently active.
A man in his 90s died yesterday and a man in his 60s died this morning, both in hospital after contracting coronavirus.
In Victoria 22 people have died from coronavirus so far, while 416 cases have been acquired through unknown transmission.
Of the 127 new cases, 34 are linked to outbreaks, 40 have been identified through routine testing and 53 are under investigation.
No new cases had been detected in returned travellers in hotel quarantine, the department said.
Currently 31 people with coronavirus are in hospital, including five patients in intensive care, while 1992 people have recovered.
Of the total 2660 cases, 2307 have occurred in metropolitan Melbourne and 260 in regional Victoria.
Today the Victorian Government announced it would close the border with New South Wales beginning 11.59pm on Tuesday.
The government has prohibited anyone from leaving or entering nine public housing towers North Melbourne and Flemington to stop the spread of coronavirus.
The towers will remain in total lockdown dependent on the success of tracking and testing measures, the department said.
The government has also locked down postcodes 3031, 3051, 3012, 3021, 3032, 3038, 3042, 3046, 3047, 3055, 3060 and 3064 until July 29.
Residents can only leave these postcodes and non-residents can only enter them for food and supplies, medical care and caregiving, exercise and study or work.
Of the new cases which have already been linked to outbreaks, the breakdown is as follows:
• 16 cases relating to the North Melbourne and Flemington public housing towers. These cases, plus existing cases on site that have now been linked to the outbreak, take the total number of cases to 53.
• One new case linked to the Truganina family outbreak, a close contact of a known case, taking the total number of cases linked to the outbreak to 16.
• 14 new cases linked to the Al-Taqwa College outbreak, all previously identified school contacts. We have also linked some existing cases, taking the total number of cases linked to the outbreak to 77.
• Two new cases linked to the Patterson Lakes/Lysterfield family outbreak, both close contacts of known cases, taking the total to 15.
• One new case linked to the Camberwell Grammar School outbreak, taking the total to four.
Other new cases of note:
• One case in a healthcare worker at the Royal Melbourne Hospital, a close contact of a known case.
• One case in a healthcare worker at the Alfred Hospital. It’s believed the worker attended the site while infectious. Contact tracing is under way and the department is working closely with the hospital to ensure all appropriate public health actions are taken.
• One case in a worker from the Woolworths online fulfillment centre. It’s believed the person worked shifts while infectious and the contact tracing process is underway.
• One new case at the JBS abattoir in Brooklyn. All staff at the site are being tested and the department’s outbreak squad will visit today to ensure the appropriate public health actions are taken.
• One new case at the Pacific Meats abattoir in Thomastown. The site has closed, and all workers will be tested.
The department is also investigating cases linked to Telstra Bourke St. Close contacts are in quarantine and the store has been deep cleaned.