Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsTesting sites under pressure

Testing sites under pressure

Greater Geelong has seen a spike in COVID-19 cases, with 370 new infections reported today.

It came after the municipality recorded 526 infections yesterday.

As of today, there were 1216 active cases in Greater Geelong, with Barwon Health treating 28 patients for COVID-19 at University Hospital.

Seven of the patients were in intensive care.

The Surf Coast has also seen a spike, with 77 new cases reported today.

There were 184 active cases in the shire.

Across the state, there were 21,997 new cases reported today – the first time the state had reported more than 20,000 in one day – and six deaths.

There were 61,120 active cases, but health authorities believe the true figure could be higher, with many people having trouble accessing PCR testing sites.

Geelong drive-through testing sites have been put under pressure due to demand for tests.

Barwon Health North’s testing site in Norlane regularly stretches past Bunnings each morning and has impacted public transport, with buses unable to stop and pick up passengers on Melbourne Road.

Private testing sites have seen similar lines, with one resident sharing on social media they had been turned away from the Pakington Street testing site at 6.30am due to demand.

Western Victoria MP Bev McArthur said there needed to be more state government-run testing sites set up in Geelong.

“I have been advised by a constituent [in Geelong] that he has now queued for two days – arriving at 4am on both occasions – and waiting for 4.5 hours each time, only to be told the testing site is not open,” she said.

“This gentleman is required to get the test so he can go to work.

“It was patently obvious that testing sites would be in hot demand once Victorians were given the green light to move out of lockdown and into freedom. The government should have ensured the system could cope.”

To ease stress on testing sites, Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced on Wednesday National Cabinet had agreed to a new system where people who tested positive to a rapid antigen test would no longer need to confirm the infection with a PCR test.

With many reporting difficulties finding rapid antigen tests, Mr Morrison also said the government would provide up to 10 free tests to concession card holders over the next three months.

However opposition leader Anthony Albanese said the government should be making free and available for everyone.

“We can’t have people at their most vulnerable and contagious being ripped off, or going undiagnosed, or travelling around cities, suburbs and towns searching in vain for tests they can’t find or afford,” he said.

Previous article
Next article
Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

From the archives

17 years ago 20 February, 2009 A company is investigating potential for a wave power plant off the region’s coastline. Western Australia-based Carnegie Corporation is in talks...

Pickleball opens up

More News

The power of creativity (and robots)

Jolyon James’ stage show Robot Song centres on the story of a young autistic child, Juniper, struggling to find her place in the world. A...

Guitar legend amps up for tour

Nathan Cavaleri comes to Geelong this weekend as part of a 18-show tour of his new album Live at the Wheaty. Hailed as a blues-rock...

Grove cements top spot

Ocean Grove cemented its place at the top of Section 4 Mixed with a commanding 6-0 win over second placed Surfcoast Torquay in Tennis...

Community calendar

Austrian Club Geelong Alpine music featuring Alpen Musikanten, Sunday 22 February, noon-5pm. Tickets $20 ($15 members). Meals and drinks available. ■ Irmela 0435995 200 Book sale Uniting Grovedale,...

Grubbers land recruiting coup

Ocean Grove has pulled off a stunning recruiting coup with Gary Rohan set to wear the red and white this Bellarine Football League season. Rohan,...

Boy arrested over stabbing

Geelong Crime Investigation Unit detectives have arrested a boy following a stabbing in Geelong’s Little Malop Street yesterday afternoon. It is alleged a boy stabbed...

Why Australia’s Favourite Regional City is Leading the 2026 Jobs Boom

Geelong has been building momentum for years, but a turning point has arrived. Once seen as a city with potential, it now stands at...

Cleaning up litter

People can help keep the region’s beaches, foreshores and marine environment clean during the upcoming Clean Up Australia Day. Clean-up events will...

Convoy for kids

Hundreds of trucks will take to Geelong’s streets this weekend to raise money for families impacted by childhood cancer. The 11th annual...

Celebration of life in the north

A new exhibition delving into the heart of Norlane will open at Platform Arts this weekend. Led by artists Laura Alice and Yuhui Ng Rodriguez,...