Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsExtension for triple 0 trial

Extension for triple 0 trial

A trial helping Geelong mental health patients avoid the city’s busiest emergency department (ED) has received a six-month extension, following a State Government announcement.

The “Victoria-first” program pairing mental health specialists with paramedics to attend Triple Zero call-outs would now run until April 2020 following a “successful” three-month trial, the government said on Wednesday.

The collaboration between Barwon Health and Ambulance Victoria has resulted in faster and “more tailored” care for locals with mental health issues, according to the government.

Paramedics respond to an average of 15 calls a day involving mental health patients in the Barwon region.

Specialists diverted 76 per cent of patients treated in the trial from University Hospital Geelong’s ED to more appropriate mental health services, the government said.

Mental health minister Martin Foley said the Prehospital Response of Mental Health and Paramedic Team (PROMPT) program relieved pressure on the local hospital.

“This trial is giving people in Barwon the right care faster and is reducing the likelihood of mental health presentations escalating unnecessarily or involving an emergency department,” he said.

The Indy previously reported that the trial assisted more than 35 people in the region in its first month, with 27 of those avoiding admission to ED.

The program provided a more immediate response for treatment, said Barwon Health’s director for mental health, drugs and alcohol services Steve Moylan.

“Many families have given us positive feedback that receiving care closer to home is of benefit,” he told the Indy in June.

The extension comes after a royal commission into Victoria’s mental health system began last July with State Government stating they will “implement all recommendations”.

The commission was promised during the last state election after it was revealed Victoria spent less per capita than any other state on mental health.

An interim report of the commission will be available next month, with the final report scheduled for October next year.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...