Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsBusiness closure leaves a vacuum

Business closure leaves a vacuum

Belmont repairman Joseph Lam is set to leave a big vacuum in the local community when he closes his business after more than 30 years.

But at age 72, the Belmont grandfather and vacuum cleaner specialist has decided to retire and call the “end of an era” later this month.

“I don’t look like a 72-year-old; everybody tells me I look about 50,” he said.

“I just want to thank all my customers from over the years.

“That’s what I’ll miss – people in Geelong are so friendly.

“They’ll always ask, ‘do you want a coffee?’ and I’ll be like ‘no thanks, I’ve got a job to do. If I’ve got time afterwards, I’ll have one’.

Joseph was born in Hong Kong in 1949 and moved to Nauru with his family for his dad’s work before migrating to Australia in the late 1960s.

He was conscripted for national service in his new home country, but did not go to Vietnam as he was part of the second-last intake.

For 20 years he ran Geelong’s first Chinese grocer, before selling the business and travelling across the US in a Winnebago with his family, he said.

Unsure what to do when he got home, he had a go at fixing his own vacuum cleaner. Upon discovering a lack of local repairers, he went to Caufield to study the appliances, beginning his 30-year career.

“There are so many vacuums out there and there’s always one breaking down,” he said.

“When COVID-19 came I had a lot of people come to me buying bags. They were cleaning up their houses because they had nothing else to do!”

He reckons he has worked on tens of thousands of vacuums over the years.

“I’ve got so many loyal consumers, it’s incredible,” he said.

Luke Voogt

Previous article
Next article
Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...