Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsBridge demo over concrete fears

Bridge demo over concrete fears

Fears of falling concrete at a century-old aqueduct in Breakwater have prompted Barwon Water to apply to remove part of the 756m heritage-listed structure.

The water authority had applied to Heritage Victoria to remove part of the 103-year-old ovoid sewer aqueduct, it announced on Wednesday.

“We have investigated all possible options for improving, stopping or slowing the aqueduct’s natural degradation, particularly across the river,” Barwon Water managing director Tracey Slatter said.

“But technical advice has made it clear that it is simply not viable from a safety and cost perspective.

“We believe the best option is to remove several spans across the river so that people enjoying the river and its surrounds can do so safely, without the risk of falling concrete from the structure.”

The application comes after the Independent in 2017 revealed State Government plans to develop the area into 66 hectares of public parkland around the structure.

The aqueduct allowed Geelong’s first main outfall sewer pipe to cross over the Barwon River from 1916 to 1992.

Authorities had prohibited access under the structure – both on land and water – since 1995 due to the risk of falling concrete.

The structure had been in “deteriorating condition” since the 1970s, according to Barwon Water.

Barwon Water is seeking to remove five of 14 aqueduct spans over and immediately adjacent to the river on the north bank, as a first step in the parkland project.

The authority will engage Wadawurrung Traditional Owners and seek input from all other interested stakeholders to develop a final plan for the land, according to Ms Slatter.

The majority of the aqueduct structure would remain, behind “improved and more aesthetically-pleasing fencing” to prevent people from climbing on or under it, she said.

Ms Slatter said Barwon Water would like the eventual outcome to recognise the history and stories of the aqueduct.

Heritage Victoria will advertise the submission in the media and publish it on its website, according Barwon Water.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

New project blooms

More News

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...