By Luke Voogt
Geelong now has no active COVID-19 cases as restrictions ease across Victoria.
Greater Geelong had a total of 65 confirmed cases with none active as of midnight on Sunday, the Department of Health and Human Services confirmed today.
The drop comes after the department confirmed a new Geelong case on May 25, bringing the total to 65, with one active.
The previously active case was among two additional cases for Victoria “detected in returned travellers in hotel quarantine” on May 25, the department said.
Local government area numbers are recorded by the residential address provided when the case is recorded, not where the case is confirmed.
This means the confirmed Geelong case could have been in hotel quarantine in another location.
The drop in active cases for Geelong comes as the Victorian total increased by four to 1653.
Of the four new cases, one has been linked to an outbreak at quarantine hotel Rydges on Swanston in Melbourne, bringing the total in that cluster to eight.
Another was detected in returned travellers in hotel quarantine and the other two were from community testing, according to the department.
Currently six people are in hospital with coronavirus, including one patient in intensive care, while 1560 people have recovered, the department said.
More than 515,000 tests have been processed to date and 168 cases in Victoria have been acquired through unknown transmission.
Nineteen Victorians have died after contracting coronavirus.
Of the 1653 cases, 875 were male and 778 female, with 1373 occurring in metropolitan Melbourne and 234 in regional Victoria. Several cases remain under investigation.
“Thanks to Victorians playing their part, staying at home and getting tested – we have made some great progress in slowing the spread of coronavirus,” Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said.
“Our low rate of community transmission means we have been able to ease some restrictions from today.
“You can have up to 20 people in your home or in a public place. Restaurants, cafes and pubs can have up to 20 customers dine in, and businesses such as beauty therapists can see clients again.”
But Professor Sutton warned Victorians to remain “considered” and “cautious” despite the easing of restrictions.
“Although it’s tempting to rush out and book that weekend away or have your friends over, it’s important that we use our common sense,” he said.
“If you don’t have to do it – don’t.”
He urged Victorians to continue to follow physical distancing rules, practice good hygiene, work from home if possible and get tested for coronavirus if they had any symptoms.