Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsCouncil united against incinerator

Council united against incinerator

Geelong council reflected the community consensus at this week’s meeting when it resolved to step up its opposition to the proposed Lara waste-to-energy incinerator.

You Yangs councillor Chris Burson introduced the notice of motion, which was seconded by Cr Elise Wilkinson and supported unanimously by the rest of the council group.

The motion proposed that the council reiterate its opposition to the incinerator due to health and pollution concerns, continue to advocate for the immediate abandonment of the project and write to Minister for Planning Sonya Kilkenny to change planning laws so Geelong council would be the decision-maker for future waste-to-energy projects.

Corio councillor Anthony Aitken successfully sought to add a fourth point, that the City develop its own waste-to-energy policy.

Cr Burson said when he became a councillor late last year he was not informed about the issue.

“Since then I’ve been barraged with reports about the incinerator and the distinct lack of support for it,” Cr Burson said.

“I’m yet to see any minister that has been supportive of it. The Energy Minister (Lily D’Ambrosio) seems to be against it… (member for Lara) Ella (George) has been against it, Richard Marles has been against it… so I’m confused as to why it’s still going ahead.

“This is not just a Lara issue, it’s a City of Greater Geelong issue, and I would like to think that anything that’s going to be inside the City would be at least brought past us first.”

In December 2023 the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) granted Prospect Hill International a developer’s license to build the incinerator, which would burn 400,000 tonnes of waste each year.

That decision has since been appealed by a coalition of local businesses and community organisations.

Cr Wilkinson said waste-to-energy incinerators were expensive and inefficient, with 25 tonnes of “toxic ash” produced for every 100 tonnes of waste burnt.

“All waste incinerators emit deadly forever chemicals and toxic pollutants that travel long distances,” Cr Wilkinson said.

“We cannot fix one environmental problem by creating another.

“This is a project with no local support, no business case, and is an environmental disaster waiting to happen.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Understanding the wetlands

Bellarine community members have a better understanding of wetland values thanks to strong support during Ramsar Week. More than 200 people engaged...
More News

Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local...

Crack down on dodgy drivers

New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday...

NATURE WATCH with Jen Carr

I was driving to Torquay one day and spotted a juvenile black-shouldered kite in a dead tree. I had to make a tricky u-turn...

Protect our hoodies

People travel thousands of kilometres to catch a glimpse of a blue whale or get up close and personal with a koala. But you may...

The stars are aligning

Great Wall's Haval H6 PHEV is the third plug-in hybrid that we have driven in as many weeks. Dating back to 2011, the third generation...

From the archives

17 years ago 20 February, 2009 A company is investigating potential for a wave power plant off the region’s coastline. Western Australia-based Carnegie Corporation is in talks...

Pickleball opens up

Pickleball is set to make a racket thanks to the official opening of a new outdoor venue in Portarlington this week. Drysdale...

The power of creativity (and robots)

Jolyon James’ stage show Robot Song centres on the story of a young autistic child, Juniper, struggling to find her place in the world. A...

Guitar legend amps up for tour

Nathan Cavaleri comes to Geelong this weekend as part of a 18-show tour of his new album Live at the Wheaty. Hailed as a blues-rock...

Grove cements top spot

Ocean Grove cemented its place at the top of Section 4 Mixed with a commanding 6-0 win over second placed Surfcoast Torquay in Tennis...