Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndy13th transport study unveiled

13th transport study unveiled

By MICHELLE HERBISON

RACV will undertake the region’s 13th transport-related study, citing a “misconception” the automobile organisation focuses only on roads.
Public transport and mobility manager Thanuja Gunatillake said the RACV On Track survey would target train users state-wide, aiming to improve timetables, overcrowding, service reliability, safety, station amenities and parking.
The online survey adds to 12 transport-related studies under way in the region, including by G21 Geelong Alliance, GHD Consultants, Aecom Consultants and VicRoads.
The Independent reported last week that Geelong’s council would spend $150,000 on an integrated comprehensive transport plan to provide a “transportation framework” for the municipality, accounting for walking, cycling, public transport, cars and freight.
RACV spokesperson Thanuja Gunatillake said the organisation supported people who used all modes of transport.
“There’s the perception by a lot of people that we’re fundamentally about roads and infrastructure but that’s certainly not the case.”
Ms Gunatillake said RACV wanted to “be part of the solution” as metropolitan and regional rail services grew.
Greens leader Greg Barber last week hit out at V/Line for failing to meet its April reliability target of 92 per cent on the Geelong and Warrnambool lines.
V/Line’s Geelong punctuality figure for April was 80.4 per cent, with Warrnambool at 85.6 per cent.
Mr Barber said V/Line’s reliability had a “continuous trajectory of decline basically since Public Transport Minister Terry Mulder took over”.
“When V/Line was just a service for people going on holidays and visiting the grandkids, punctuality and reliability didn’t matter that much. Now it’s a serious commuter service between Geelong and Melbourne and they should be aiming for 100 per cent reliability and punctuality,” Mr Barber said.
“There’s a whole series of different excused they’ll give but it’s the same set of excuses every month. I say, ‘Fix it’.”
Mr Mulder blamed a fifth of V/Line’s April delays on sharing tracks with Metro trains.
“Geelong and Warrnambool’s trains will further improve once the Regional Rail Link opens in 2016 because V/Line trains will no longer share tracks between Werribee and Southern Cross as is the case at present,” he said.
“To build a new railway such as the Werribee West to Deer Park line through Tarneit, safety must be maintained.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...