Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyCall on state to fix high school

Call on state to fix high school

By MICHELLE HERBISON

MP Ian Trezise has urged State Government in parliament to fund a “very important” master plan to upgrade Geelong High School.
The Member for Geelong said the previous Labor government approved funding for the plan in 2010 but the coalition had been “absolutely mute” on the issue since comeing to power.
“I acknowledge it took the former government a number of years before it approved the plan, although it was eventually approved,” Mr Trezise said.
“At the time, the Liberal party and people like the now-member for South Barwon demanded that we do something. They had plenty to say when they were in opposition.”
Mr Trezise told parliament the upgrade would produce a “state-of-the-art school for decades to come”.
Geelong High principal Glenn Davey said the school’s teachers were confined to “old-fashioned single-class rooms” contrary to modern teaching practices.
“We’re trying to teach 21st Century practice in 20th Century buildings. There are cracks in the walls and an awful smell because of dampness so it’s just not a particularly healthy environment,” Mr Davey said.
“Even though we have outstanding teachers, our well-behaved kids are being forced to learn in conditions that are not ideal.”
The Independent reported last month that Education Minister Martin Dixon said State Government would spend $51.5 million on urgent maintenance at more than 200 schools.
His comments followed an Auditor General finding that an outstanding maintenance bill of more than $93 million for Barwon South West schools was double any other education department region in Victoria.
Mr Dixon said in his parliamentary response to Mr Trezise that he was “well aware” of Geelong High’s situation.
“The previous government approved the plan … as with 200 other schools around the state to keep communities quiet for a while. I have looked in every nook and cranny around the department but the previous government did not leave any money for the 200 schools that it approved master plans for.”
Mr Dixon said the Government would consider Geelong High’s master plan in budget deliberations.
“Obviously we have to prioritise matters within our budgets.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...
More News

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...