Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndy$2 billion bonanza: ’Go west’, says Guy

$2 billion bonanza: ’Go west’, says Guy

By JOHN VAN KLAVEREN

GEELONG has received a $2 billion boost with the approval of Armstrong Creek’s west precinct structure, Planning Minister Matthew Guy has announced.
He called the approval an investment in Geelong’s building and housing industry.
Developers estimate the first residents could move into the new precinct by mid-2014, with building creating almost 2000 jobs.
“This is one of the fastest growing areas in Australia and will be instrumental in enhancing the liveability of the Geelong area by providing affordable homes for local families,” Mr Guy said.
Armstrong Creek West would accommodate 5800 new homes, he said.
The Armstrong Creek urban growth area will accommodate up to 60,000 residents in total, providing about 22,000 jobs.
Member for South Barwon Andrew Katos said the western precinct would provide significant areas of open space and community facilities.
“Geelong is the best city in Victoria and the well-planned growth at Armstrong Creek will help us to maintain our strong economy into the future,” he said.
Villawood Properties executive director Rory Costelloe said he was excited to secure the approval after six years of planning.
“In anticipation we launched the project last November and have already sold over 100 lots. We can now have the planning permits issued by the council in the coming weeks and start construction.
“We’ve just been waiting for the green light. We need to catch up with our sales.”
Mr Costelloe said work on a 32-lot display village would begin soon.
The Villawood subdivision’s central road would connect direct Geelong ring road’s C4 stage.
“This is a 10-year project of 2200 lots generating an end value of $400 million, creating hundreds of jobs along the way,” Mr Costelloe said.
Duke Property Group’s Sean Duke said his western precinct subdivision of 800 to 1000 lots would create around 1000 jobs.
“There’s some infrastructure to go in first and, realistically, the first resident could be in within 18 months.
“We’ve been getting strong enquiries out of Melbourne’s western suburbs such as Taylors Lakes and Tarneit because they’re filling up and people are looking to get down the road.”
Council planning portfolio holder Rod Macdonald was pleased the lengthy approval process was over.
“It’s a terrific fillip for the region and will result in lot of new facilities and parklands, creating a great environment to live.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...
More News

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...

Rec Fest in Golden Plains

The Active Golden Plains Sport and Rec Fest is coming to Golden Plains to generate awareness of activities available in Golden Plains. Community...