Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyBridges in new blow to festival

Bridges in new blow to festival

Jessica Benton
Barwon Heads’ annual festival could be a victim of State Government’s push to build two new bridges for the town despite community opposition, according to event organisers.
Festival of the Sea president David Littleton said plans to start work on the bridges next month could force cancellation of the town’s only arts and environment event.
“The festival could be deferred for a year if it’s still a construction site,” he said.
“Its future is really unknown but we haven’t made our minds up yet – we’re just letting people know.”
Mr Littleton said the next festival would be the tenth.
This year’s event, which ran last weekend, attracted more than 10,000 patrons as “the biggest festival so far”.
Mr Littleton said a lack of volunteers was also threatening next year’s event.
“These two things, the bridge works and a lack of committee members, puts the festival under a bit of a cloud,” he said.
“It’s a huge event and a lot of local groups hang their hat on the festival and it’s a chance to get together and celebrate the artistic and environmental sides of the town, so it would be a huge loss if it was lost.”
Mr Littleton said the festival had previously run out of the town’s main street but the bridge and river estuary were new focal points.
Committee members would “draw a breathe for a few weeks” before weighing up the options for next year, he said.
Vicroads’ Duncan Elliott said work on the bridges was scheduled to begin late next month.
“Construction is proceeding and we’re in the process of evaluating tenders,” he said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Understanding the wetlands

Bellarine community members have a better understanding of wetland values thanks to strong support during Ramsar Week. More than 200 people engaged...
More News

Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local...

Crack down on dodgy drivers

New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday...

NATURE WATCH with Jen Carr

I was driving to Torquay one day and spotted a juvenile black-shouldered kite in a dead tree. I had to make a tricky u-turn...

Protect our hoodies

People travel thousands of kilometres to catch a glimpse of a blue whale or get up close and personal with a koala. But you may...

The stars are aligning

Great Wall's Haval H6 PHEV is the third plug-in hybrid that we have driven in as many weeks. Dating back to 2011, the third generation...

From the archives

17 years ago 20 February, 2009 A company is investigating potential for a wave power plant off the region’s coastline. Western Australia-based Carnegie Corporation is in talks...

Pickleball opens up

Pickleball is set to make a racket thanks to the official opening of a new outdoor venue in Portarlington this week. Drysdale...

The power of creativity (and robots)

Jolyon James’ stage show Robot Song centres on the story of a young autistic child, Juniper, struggling to find her place in the world. A...

Guitar legend amps up for tour

Nathan Cavaleri comes to Geelong this weekend as part of a 18-show tour of his new album Live at the Wheaty. Hailed as a blues-rock...

Grove cements top spot

Ocean Grove cemented its place at the top of Section 4 Mixed with a commanding 6-0 win over second placed Surfcoast Torquay in Tennis...