Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyCity probe over leak

City probe over leak

Andrew Mathieson
CITY of Greater Geelong has called for an investigation into alleged breaches of procedue in the appointment of its new chief executive.
Candidates for the vacant position were leaked to the media, breaking council confidentiality agreements.
Mayor John Mitchell has written to Local Government Victoria to request that a municipal inspector investigate whether the leak breached the City’s internal processes.
A sub-committee of five Geelong councillors – comprising the mayor, Rod Macdonald, Andy Richards, Jan Farrell and Stretch Kontelj – was appointed to a sub-committee to determine the City’s next boss.
Some councillors had squabbled over having a say on the make-up of the sub-committee in the lead-up to its formation, with council factions arguing for a political balance.
Geelong councillor Andrew Katos said leaking the names was a “breach of procedure and protocols”.
“These individuals (the candidates) were more than likely employed elsewhere and they’ve applied in good faith in a confidential process,” he said.
“It shouldn’t have happened and it’s highly inappropriate.”
The sub-committee was considering four candidates before the name of Launceston City general manager Frank Dixon was leaked to the media.
Cr Katos said council must be “open and transparent” with the investigation.
“It should be investigated, just to restore that confidence,” he said.
“We want to be pro-active and show that we as a council do not want to tolerate these sorts of breaches of behaviour.”
Cr Katos believed that the investigation call demonstrated that the City was serious about stamping out negative public perceptions.
Geelong’s previous council had been investigated over the cash-for-council scandal and for allegations related to planning issues.
Cr Katos said the leaking of the names “corrupted the processes” of hiring the new City chief, although he still backed appointee Stephen Griffin.
“What (the leaking) does is tarnish our reputation at the City,” Cr Katos said.
“We really need to show that we are serious about finding out what’s happened here.”
Mr Griffin was appointed this month after holding the City’s corporate services general manager’s role.
He was appointed amid controversy over the City sacking council workers for accepting steak sandwiches for carrying out unauthorised repairs of potholes at Leopold Sportsman’s Club.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Understanding the wetlands

Bellarine community members have a better understanding of wetland values thanks to strong support during Ramsar Week. More than 200 people engaged...
More News

Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local...

Crack down on dodgy drivers

New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday...

NATURE WATCH with Jen Carr

I was driving to Torquay one day and spotted a juvenile black-shouldered kite in a dead tree. I had to make a tricky u-turn...

Protect our hoodies

People travel thousands of kilometres to catch a glimpse of a blue whale or get up close and personal with a koala. But you may...

The stars are aligning

Great Wall's Haval H6 PHEV is the third plug-in hybrid that we have driven in as many weeks. Dating back to 2011, the third generation...

From the archives

17 years ago 20 February, 2009 A company is investigating potential for a wave power plant off the region’s coastline. Western Australia-based Carnegie Corporation is in talks...

Pickleball opens up

Pickleball is set to make a racket thanks to the official opening of a new outdoor venue in Portarlington this week. Drysdale...

The power of creativity (and robots)

Jolyon James’ stage show Robot Song centres on the story of a young autistic child, Juniper, struggling to find her place in the world. A...

Guitar legend amps up for tour

Nathan Cavaleri comes to Geelong this weekend as part of a 18-show tour of his new album Live at the Wheaty. Hailed as a blues-rock...

Grove cements top spot

Ocean Grove cemented its place at the top of Section 4 Mixed with a commanding 6-0 win over second placed Surfcoast Torquay in Tennis...