Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyGroup plans to lock away park

Group plans to lock away park

By JOHN VAN KLAVEREN

A COMMUNITY park in Ocean Grove has to be saved for a second time, according to a new group.
Save Ocean Grove Park Again formed at a public meeting last weekend after Geelong’s council backed away from taking ownership of the park.
Trust for Nature assumed ownership of the park and appointed a local management committee after the community rallied 14 years ago to raise funds to prevent the park’s sale to developers.
Council planned to take ownership of the park as part of a proposal to build a $1 million performance space in the reserve.
Save Ocean Grove Park Again spokesperson Stephanie Asher said members were “delighted” ownership would remain with Trust for Nature.
“The people of Ocean Grove are thrilled that the park will continue to be managed by the community.
“It’s a great outcome and we appreciate council’s decision to not pursue the transfer of land.
“We expressed the overwhelming gratitude and appreciation from local residents for the hard work done by the (current) park committee members over the years.
“We let them know there are plenty of people ready and waiting to help, not just for now but for the long-term.”
A Save Ocean Grove Park Again Facebook page said the group aimed to organise meetings with Mayor Darren Lyons, the park’s management committee and Trust for Nature.
Ward councillor Jan Farrell said discussions would not continue without adequate legal protection for the park and the support of the community.
“We’ve had legal advice that cannot guarantee watertight protection for the park and also been aware of community division over a possible ownership transfer.”
Cr Farrell said council would continue to work with stakeholders to deliver the performance space.
Trust for Nature commercial services manager Chris Cook said the organisation was no longer considering any transfer of Ocean Grove Park.
“The Trust permanently protects important conservation land in Victoria in a number of ways and we assure the community that this approach would always apply to the park.”
Save Ocean Grove Park Again has called a second public meeting for 2pm Sunday at Ocean Grove Primary School hall to canvass ongoing ownership and management of the park and the “status of the performance-space building”.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...
More News

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...