Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyMP wants reviews of Ann Nichol sale, Epworth deal

MP wants reviews of Ann Nichol sale, Epworth deal

By JOHN VAN KLAVEREN

THE sale of Ann Nichol House and a deal to deliver public hospital services at Waurn Ponds will be reviewed under the new Labor State Government, according to Member for Bellarine Lisa Neville.
Lisa Neville said she had written to the auditor general and ombudsman seeking investigations into Bellarine Community Health’s controversial sale process for Ann Nichol House, a Portarlington aged care facility.
The house was the last not-for-profit aged care facility on the Bellarine Peninsula when it was sold to Arcare amid widespread community opposition.
Ms Neville said she had also spoken to new Health Minister Jill Hennessy about the previous government’s arrangement to incorporate public health facilities into a private Epworth Hospital at Waurn Ponds.
“I have asked the Health Minister to have a look at the contract and arrangements and look at the deal that was done there. I don’t know we can do much about it but I do want greater transparency about that arrangement,” she said.
Earlier this year, while still in opposition, Ms Neville told the Independent “something stinks“ about the $50 million arrangement between Epworth Health and the government.
Ms Neville and fellow minister John Eren, who increased his margin for the seat of Lara, said challenges facing Avalon Airport would also be high on their agendas.
“We need to have a discussion with Tullamarine and see if there is a way of Avalon securing a place within the airport system,” Ms Neville said.
“We’ll also have a conversation with Jetstar because we don’t want to see anything happen there.”
Jetstar is widely tipped to abandon its Avalon base when an $11 million package to keep the beleaguered Qantas discount carrier at the airport runs out in April.
“It’s an urgent issue and the premier (Daniel Andrews) is aware of it and it’s on his agenda,” Ms Neville said.
Mr Eren said he had maintained constant dialogue with the airport while in opposition.
“We still have high hopes for it to be Victoria’s second international airport and we believe we can provide some assistance to ensure it does.
“There’s no politics involved because everyone wants it to happen but we want something more permanent than the arrangements so far.”

 

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...