Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyEmergency alert test

Emergency alert test

Geelong mobile phone users will receive an emergency text message on Sunday – but it’s only a test.

Police and Emergency Services minister Kim Wells said location based emergency alert testing would take place on Sunday 18 August for all mobile phones regardless of network.

Testing will take place in locations across metropolitan and regional Victoria including Geelong.

Text messages will originate from dedicated Emergency Alert number 0444 444 444 and will clearly indicate they are test messages and that no action is required.

Location-based Emergency Alert was a recommendation from the Victorian Bushfires Royal Commission.

Telstra has been providing this technology since November last year.

Vodafone and Optus are joining the test this year to ensure their technology meets technical requirements so text alerts can be sent across all networks simultaneously to all mobile phones identified within a particular location.

“This is world-first technology that will be rolled out across the nation and will offer a location-based alert system for use during emergencies,” Mr Wells said.

However, Mr Wells said that while the location-based technology was a significant improvement in emergency communications, Victorians should not solely rely on mobile telephones for bushfire warnings.

“Relying on one form of communication in an emergency is only giving yourself one chance to receive information.

“It is important that people tune in to the radio, check emergency services websites and stay aware of conditions outside,” Mr Wells said.

Anyone wanting more information about the tests can visit the national Emergency Alert website www.emergencyalert.gov.au or the CFA website www.cfa.vic.gov.au.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Now for the finals

More News

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...

Rec Fest in Golden Plains

The Active Golden Plains Sport and Rec Fest is coming to Golden Plains to generate awareness of activities available in Golden Plains. Community...

Further bonus for Ioniq 5

The Ioniq 5 burst onto the local electric vehicle scene more than three years ago like the greyhound favourite out of a trap at...

Stanthorpe Festival – crushing for 60 years

Queensland’s Granite Belt comes alive this month for the long-running Stanthorpe Apple and Grape Harvest Festival - a celebration of food, wine and community. The...

Storytelling under the stars

The region’s favourite annual celebration of Americana music returns this month with an all-female lineup. The fifth Americana on the Bellarine live music event will...