Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyResidents take fight to bridge

Residents take fight to bridge

Jessica Benton
ANGRY Barwon Heads residents have swarmed the towns riverbanks to protest bridge redevelopment works.
About 30 protestors armed with signs and banners launched the first protest on Tuesday morning to slam State Government’s decision to demolish the town’s iconic bridge and replace it with two parallel bridges for vehicle and pedestrian use.
One Voice One Bridge spokesperson Sandy Gatehouse said the group was targeting politicians and their decisions.
“We’re genuinely concerned that we’re being typecast as activists but we’re just normal people who think this is appalling,” she said.
“It’s got to the stage now where they’re starting to trash the beach and there’s nasty things sticking out of the sand, so we had to do something.”
Ms Gatehouse warned the Government it faced indefinite community action.
“This is just the beginning of ongoing protests,” she said.
“People who were here today are all prepared to come back again.”
Ms Gatehouse said the protest group members reflected the widespread hostility toward the Government’s “two-bridge” project.
“There are people from Ocean Grove and Barwon Heads and a diverse range of young and old who have become involved. A lot of people came on their way to work or school,” she said.
“They braved the chilly weather and disrupted their day to support the protest.”
State Government defied community opposition and an upper house disallowment motion earlier this year to push ahead with the project. The decision drew widespread condemnation from the community as well as environmentalists who feared the project would damage an adjacent spit.
Residents were also concerned about loss of car parking spaces, beach access and increased traffic.
Vicroads’ Robin Miles praised the protesters for their “peaceful and respectful” behaviour.
The protesters confined themselves to a Vicroads-specified area near the bridge, Mr Miles said.
“The protest did not disrupt the construction schedule and Vicroads staff and contractors were able to go about their work.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Grubbers land recruiting coup

Ocean Grove has pulled off a stunning recruiting coup with Gary Rohan set to wear the red and white this Bellarine Football League season. Rohan,...

Cleaning up litter

Convoy for kids

More News

Why Australia’s Favourite Regional City is Leading the 2026 Jobs Boom

Geelong has been building momentum for years, but a turning point has arrived. Once seen as a city with potential, it now stands at...

Cleaning up litter

People can help keep the region’s beaches, foreshores and marine environment clean during the upcoming Clean Up Australia Day. Clean-up events will...

Convoy for kids

Hundreds of trucks will take to Geelong’s streets this weekend to raise money for families impacted by childhood cancer. The 11th annual...

Celebration of life in the north

A new exhibition delving into the heart of Norlane will open at Platform Arts this weekend. Led by artists Laura Alice and Yuhui Ng Rodriguez,...

Norway rewards in the depths of winter

Independent news editor and Barwon Heads resident Justin Flynn recently ventured to Norway in winter and says a trip to the Scandinavian country during...

Paige’s journey towards remission

A St Leonards teenager’s life was turned upside down last year after she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. Paige Mackenzie,...

School bus concerns

Geelong mayor Stretch Kontelj has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to travel...

Cruise North America

Take in historic cities and rugged shores with Viking’s 15-day Canada and East Coast Explorer voyage from Toronto, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida or...

Teen stabbed in Geelong

A teenage boy was taken to hospital with serious injuries this afternoon after being stabbed in Geelong’s Malop Street. Officers were called to the scene...

A vibrant Chinese New Year

Geelong will celebrate the year of the horse with a vibrant cultural takeover of the city centre for the Lunar New Year. Chinese...