Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyMen's Shed wins $1 million

Men’s Shed wins $1 million

Thirty-three Queenscliff Men’s Shed members will share more than a million dollars after their syndicate won the lottery on Saturday.
The private syndicate shared the division one prize with two other entries, to win $1,326,203.89 in Tattslotto’s Saturday night draw.
Another two wins in division six took the total to $1,326,231.69, meaning each of the 33 men will take home $40,188.83.
The syndicate leader was flabbergasted when a lotto official phoned to tell him the result on Monday morning.
“Bloody hell! Excuse my French,” the man laughed as the news sunk in.
“Fair dinkum? Let me write that number down. Am I allowed to panic? Just fantastic! How much was it again?
“I’m in a syndicate with a few of us from the Men’s Shed. That’s fantastic! That’s brilliant! Thank you.”
The syndicate leader said he was just happy to share the prize with his friends and looked forward to sharing the news.
“I think I’m just going to enjoy the moment for now,” he said.
“It’s good though – it’s great to share it with 33 people. They’ll be very happy.
“We’ve been going in together for a long time and every time I go in to the Men’s Shed they always ask me ‘How did we go?’ and I tell them ‘It would be nice if you ask me how I am first!’
“We’ll celebrate nicely, I’m sure there will be a big presentation here.
“I think I’ll call them today – I’ll call one and get them to spread the news around.”
The syndicate purchased the winning entry from Drysdale Lotto.
The Indy spoke to two members of the Men’s Shed, who wished to remain anonymous until the syndicate leader had sorted out the winnings.
“They will be sitting around having a cup of tea with a smile on their faces at our weekly meeting on Thursday,” one of the members said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Grubbers land recruiting coup

Ocean Grove has pulled off a stunning recruiting coup with Gary Rohan set to wear the red and white this Bellarine Football League season. Rohan,...

Cleaning up litter

Convoy for kids

More News

Why Australia’s Favourite Regional City is Leading the 2026 Jobs Boom

Geelong has been building momentum for years, but a turning point has arrived. Once seen as a city with potential, it now stands at...

Cleaning up litter

People can help keep the region’s beaches, foreshores and marine environment clean during the upcoming Clean Up Australia Day. Clean-up events will...

Convoy for kids

Hundreds of trucks will take to Geelong’s streets this weekend to raise money for families impacted by childhood cancer. The 11th annual...

Celebration of life in the north

A new exhibition delving into the heart of Norlane will open at Platform Arts this weekend. Led by artists Laura Alice and Yuhui Ng Rodriguez,...

Norway rewards in the depths of winter

Independent news editor and Barwon Heads resident Justin Flynn recently ventured to Norway in winter and says a trip to the Scandinavian country during...

Paige’s journey towards remission

A St Leonards teenager’s life was turned upside down last year after she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. Paige Mackenzie,...

School bus concerns

Geelong mayor Stretch Kontelj has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to travel...

Cruise North America

Take in historic cities and rugged shores with Viking’s 15-day Canada and East Coast Explorer voyage from Toronto, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida or...

Teen stabbed in Geelong

A teenage boy was taken to hospital with serious injuries this afternoon after being stabbed in Geelong’s Malop Street. Officers were called to the scene...

A vibrant Chinese New Year

Geelong will celebrate the year of the horse with a vibrant cultural takeover of the city centre for the Lunar New Year. Chinese...