Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsSculpture moves from Waterfront

Sculpture moves from Waterfront

A sculpture celebrating people who have a lived experience with disability has moved from its temporary home at the Geelong Waterfront to Austin Park in Lara.

Each letter in the sculpture weighs around four tonnes, requiring a crane to complete the move recently.

City of Greater Geelong volunteering and disability portfolio chair Anthony Aitken said the sculpture would remain in Lara until later this year.

“This work was designed to be relocated around the City of Greater Geelong to allow for a greater connection with our whole community and to increase awareness around the concepts it conveys,” Cr Aitken said.

“It is an important piece of public art that celebrates people who live with a disability and reminds us that everyone’s voice is valued.”

The sculpture was funded by the state government through the Community Support Fund and delivered in partnership with VALiD (Victorian Advocacy League for Individuals with Disabilities) and Geelong-based ArtGusto.

Creative communities and culture portfolio deputy chair Jim Mason and Lara MP John Eren joined artist Mark Cuthbertson is celebrating the arrival of the artwork in Lara last week.

The City of Greater Geelong commissioned Mr Cuthbertson, with artist-collaborators Robert Croft, Hannah Wilkinson, Christian Den Besten and George Macaronis, to develop the public art sculpture.

The sculpture was developed based on more than 85 contributions from the local community through a series of artist-led workshops.

Drawing reference from powerful political and pop culture statements such as the 1968 Memphis black sanitation workers slogan ‘I am a man’, and Helen Reddy’s 1971 anthem ‘I Am Woman’, the work celebrates the empowerment of diversity in our society.

Cr Mason said he hoped the sculpture would be embraced by the Lara community.

“So many people across our community contributed their ideas to the development of this work so we’re proud it’s making its way around the municipality,” Cr Mason said.

“It is a shining example of the wide range of creative talent in our inclusive city, where everyone has a rightful and participatory place.”

The sculpture had been in place in front of the Carousel at the Waterfront since September.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...