Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsFormer real estate agent to face court

Former real estate agent to face court

Former Torquay real estate agent Richard Hayden will face court after allegedly swindling almost $1.6 million from a business trust account.

Consumer Affairs Victoria is taking Hayden, who was formerly a director of Skyline Developments Pty Ltd, to court for allegedly “causing nearly $1.6 million in trust account deficiencies” between January 2018 and July 2019.

He has also been accused of wrongfully converting more than $770,000 of trust account money to his own use.

“Our inspectors reviewed Skyline Developments’ trust accounts after receiving five complaints in late 2018 from consumers whose deposit money had not been paid following settlement, or who had not been reimbursed following the cancellation of a contract of sale,” Consumer Affairs Victoria said.

“Our inspectors seized 36 sale files in January 2019 and issued a statutory notice to Skyline Developments to provide further trust account records.

“Two of Skyline’s trust accounts were frozen by the minister for consumer affairs in March 2019. The minister also directed that the company cease carrying on its business as an estate agent and appointed a statutory manager to wind down the business.

“It is alleged that, while acting as officer in effective control, Mr Hayden caused deficiencies totalling $1,593,926 in trust money on 50 occasions between 18 February 2018 and 7 June 2019 [and] fraudulently converted to his own use a total of $770,067 in trust money received and held by Skyline Developments on 98 occasions between 14 January 2018 and 25 January 2019.”

The matter will be heard in the Melbourne Magistrates Court on January 31.

Previous article
Next article
Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Grubbers land recruiting coup

Ocean Grove has pulled off a stunning recruiting coup with Gary Rohan set to wear the red and white this Bellarine Football League season. Rohan,...

Cleaning up litter

Convoy for kids

More News

Why Australia’s Favourite Regional City is Leading the 2026 Jobs Boom

Geelong has been building momentum for years, but a turning point has arrived. Once seen as a city with potential, it now stands at...

Cleaning up litter

People can help keep the region’s beaches, foreshores and marine environment clean during the upcoming Clean Up Australia Day. Clean-up events will...

Convoy for kids

Hundreds of trucks will take to Geelong’s streets this weekend to raise money for families impacted by childhood cancer. The 11th annual...

Celebration of life in the north

A new exhibition delving into the heart of Norlane will open at Platform Arts this weekend. Led by artists Laura Alice and Yuhui Ng Rodriguez,...

Norway rewards in the depths of winter

Independent news editor and Barwon Heads resident Justin Flynn recently ventured to Norway in winter and says a trip to the Scandinavian country during...

Paige’s journey towards remission

A St Leonards teenager’s life was turned upside down last year after she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. Paige Mackenzie,...

School bus concerns

Geelong mayor Stretch Kontelj has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to travel...

Cruise North America

Take in historic cities and rugged shores with Viking’s 15-day Canada and East Coast Explorer voyage from Toronto, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida or...

Teen stabbed in Geelong

A teenage boy was taken to hospital with serious injuries this afternoon after being stabbed in Geelong’s Malop Street. Officers were called to the scene...

A vibrant Chinese New Year

Geelong will celebrate the year of the horse with a vibrant cultural takeover of the city centre for the Lunar New Year. Chinese...