Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsAvalon named as quarantine back-up site

Avalon named as quarantine back-up site

The state government has overlooked Avalon Airport as the site for a Victorian COVID-19 quarantine hub.

Acting Premier James Merlino announced yesterday that the state government’s first choice was to build the 500-bed hub on Donnybrook Road, Mickleham, in Melbourne’s north.

Mr Merlino said the centre, which will provide an alternative to hotel quarantine, would cost around $200 million to construct.

The master plan for the new hub includes dedicated onsite services, including catering, that will support strong infection control and prevention measures.

It is also designed with the ability to increase to up to 3000 beds as part of a scalable build if a larger facility is determined to be required at any point.

The new hub will also be designed with relocatable cabins so that it can be utilised for alternative and future needs, including ongoing quarantine arrangements, crisis accommodation and other emergencies.

The state government is set to begin negotiating funding for the project with the federal government, at a national cabinet today.

However, Mr Merlino said that if the federal government turns down the idea of building the quarantine hub in Mickleham, Avalon was the second choice for the facility to be located.

In February, Avalon Airport released an announcement which said: “We welcome the Premier’s announcement today that Avalon Airport is under consideration to house an isolated purpose-built quarantine facility.

“We are keen to assist where we can during this crisis, and our proposal is an offer in the hope that we can help find a solution for people returning to Australia.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...
More News

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...