Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsGlass bin alternative floated

Glass bin alternative floated

A glass drop-off scheme could replace plans for a fourth bin in Geelong, with council leaving its options open on a state government recycling deadline.

Council on Tuesday night allocated $10,000 toward the creation of a transition plan for a purple bin for glass, or an “equivalent waste service”.

An equivalent waste service could include a glass drop-off scheme similar to that in Ballarat, according to council’s waste services manager Rodney Thomas.

City of Ballarat last year introduced the scheme requiring residents to dispose their glass at one of eight drop-off sites.

The state government’s new circular economy policy requires Victorian councils to introduce a separate collection for glass by 2027.

Geelong currently has three residential bins: yellow for paper, plastic and glass recycling, green for garden waste and red for other waste.

City Hall officers will develop the transition plan for separate glass collection with a draft due at the end of September.

“There is quite a bit of work to be done to prepare greater Geelong for a move to the new waste system,” mayor Stephanie Asher said.

“But we have a solid 10-year waste strategy in place and our team is already doing the necessary planning.”

Waste management portfolio chair Ron Nelson said council’s 10-year Waste and Resource Recovery Strategy “set the vision” to “actively avoid waste and increase resource recovery”.

“These reforms will help us recover and recycle more resources, reducing the amount of waste being sent to landfill and contributing to a circular economy.”

The state government’s circular economy policy also requires separate collection services for food and garden organics by 2030.

Food waste currently amounts to about one-third of rubbish in household garbage bins.

Council will begin a household food collection service trial this financial year in partnership with Barwon Water and neighbouring councils.

Together the organisations plan to investigate a regional network seeking to use organic waste to generate renewable energy and soil fertiliser products.

Cr Asher also restated council’s previous offer for Geelong to be a trial site for a container deposit scheme.

“We see this as a very important part of the recycling reforms and we’d love to see a container deposit scheme available in greater Geelong as soon as possible,” she said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...