Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsGeelong records another case as state spread slows

Geelong records another case as state spread slows

Geelong has recorded another COVID-19 case today as the Victorian total increased by 16 to 1228

Confirmed coronavirus cases rose to 58 for greater Geelong while on the Surf Coast cases have remained level on nine for several days, according to the Department of Health and Human Services.

The 1228 cases across Victoria today included 642 males and 585 females. Cases range in age from babies to their early nineties.

Twelve Victorians, aged from their 50s to their 80s, have died so far from the disease.

In Victoria 110 confirmed cases may have been acquired through community transmission with more than 62,000 tests conducted to date, according to the department.

Another 688 cases have been acquired through overseas travel and 418 from contact with a known source, with 12 still under investigation.

“Currently 50 people are in hospital – including 13 patients in intensive care – and 806 people have recovered,” the department said.

Of the total 1228 cases, 992 occurred in Melbourne and 225 in regional Victoria. Several cases remain under investigation.

Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton today urged Victorians to stay vigilant, especially as the Easter long weekend approached.

“The rules are clear – and they don’t change over Easter: if you can stay at home, you must stay at home,” Professor Sutton said.

“This is tough for many families, but no Easter holiday is worth a life. Stay at home, protect the health system and save lives.

“This is not a normal Easter. Travelling, visiting friends, heading to the beach or staying in regional Victoria could see all our hard-won gains evaporate.

“I urge people not to look for loopholes but to follow the advice and do the right thing.”

In the past 24 hours, Victoria Police issued 78 fines while conducting 1065 spot checks at homes, businesses and non-essential services across the state.

Officers fined a man who claimed he was buying a bottle of water, despite being 30 minutes from home and two men watching a movie in car in public place.

They also fined 10 people in two separate groups for gathering publicly, despite warning them earlier in the week, according to Victoria Police.

Police said they also fined four people “driving aimlessly” in car, some of who tried to hide when they saw officers.

Under new regulations Victorians are only permitted to leave for food and supplies, medical care and care-giving, exercise, and work or education.

Police can issue on-the-spot fines, including up to $1652 for individuals and up to $9913 for businesses.

Under the State of Emergency people can also face fines of up $20,000 in court. Companies face fines of up to $100,000.

Department of Health and Human Services COVID-19 hotline: 1800 675 398.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Understanding the wetlands

Bellarine community members have a better understanding of wetland values thanks to strong support during Ramsar Week. More than 200 people engaged...
More News

Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local...

Crack down on dodgy drivers

New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday...

NATURE WATCH with Jen Carr

I was driving to Torquay one day and spotted a juvenile black-shouldered kite in a dead tree. I had to make a tricky u-turn...

Protect our hoodies

People travel thousands of kilometres to catch a glimpse of a blue whale or get up close and personal with a koala. But you may...

The stars are aligning

Great Wall's Haval H6 PHEV is the third plug-in hybrid that we have driven in as many weeks. Dating back to 2011, the third generation...

From the archives

17 years ago 20 February, 2009 A company is investigating potential for a wave power plant off the region’s coastline. Western Australia-based Carnegie Corporation is in talks...

Pickleball opens up

Pickleball is set to make a racket thanks to the official opening of a new outdoor venue in Portarlington this week. Drysdale...

The power of creativity (and robots)

Jolyon James’ stage show Robot Song centres on the story of a young autistic child, Juniper, struggling to find her place in the world. A...

Guitar legend amps up for tour

Nathan Cavaleri comes to Geelong this weekend as part of a 18-show tour of his new album Live at the Wheaty. Hailed as a blues-rock...

Grove cements top spot

Ocean Grove cemented its place at the top of Section 4 Mixed with a commanding 6-0 win over second placed Surfcoast Torquay in Tennis...