Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsMall set for a $315k facelift

Mall set for a $315k facelift

Fairy lights, a water feature and a performance stage are at the centre of a $315,000 makeover for Little Malop St’s troubled mall.

Councillors on Tuesday voted for a range of trial initiatives to “breathe new life” into the city’s most notorious strip.

The changes will divide the mall into three zones – live entertainment and events, socialising and eating, and a children’s play area, according to council.

The proposal follows Brownbill ward councillor Eddy Kontelj’s motion last June to “activate” the mall.

“My notice of motion was about taking back ownership of the mall; and installing consistent actions and continuous activation initiatives,” he said.

“These activations and minor capital works aim to make the space more engaging, appealing and safe, and deter those who choose to intimidate or cause fear in others.”

At Tuesday’s meeting Cr Kontelj jokingly offered to drive a bulldozer through the mall’s public toilet, which the stage is set to replace.

The trial initiatives came after public concern for the mall reached “boiling point” in the past few months, he said.

“We have a space we must act on.”

The recent measures follow a much-publicised operation to crack down on crime in the long-time trouble hotspot.

Police Minister Lisa Neville last month said police “invested significant resources” including 24-hour CCTV, mounted patrols and specialist youth workers to fight crime in the mall.

Council’s proposed works for the area are expected to begin “within weeks”, with maintenance and monitoring also set to increase, according to City Hall.

The three to six month long trial will help shape a “long-term” master plan for the space, said Mayor Bruce Harwood.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...