Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyBass Strait cable hope alive as $2b wind farm flops

Bass Strait cable hope alive as $2b wind farm flops

By NOEL MURPHY

HYDRO Tasmania is still interested in a Bass Strait connection to the mainland despite dumping its $2 billion King Island wind farm plans to power Geelong.
The company dropped its 200-turbine TasWind project on economic grounds late last year after high-profile protests but this week confirmed it was working with the Tasmanian Department of State Growth on the feasibility of a second connector across Bass Strait.
“This work will involve progressing and updating work that Hydro Tasmania had already done around the TasWind project,” spokesman Ian Colvin told the Independent.
“Previously, (it) looked at route options through King Island and other direct possible cable routes and included a range of assessments, including seabed corridor route, Tasmanian and Victorian cable landing locations, land cable routes and grid connection issues.
“The current project will reassess direct interconnection options without going through King Island.”
Mr Colvin said the key objective of the work was to understand under what conditions a second interconnector would be viable under a range of market scenarios.
“The work will build significantly on all the work that Hydro Tasmania has undertaken in this space. It is expected to take a few months,” he said.
Hydro Tasmania, Australia’s largest renewable energy generator, said it would explore new wind farm opportunities after this week’s bipartisan federal agreement to lower the Renewable Energy Target from 41,000 gigawatt hours to 33,000, fully exempt trade-exposed industries and scrap two-yearly reviews.
But the company categorically rejected any chance of revisiting the King Island wind farm “RET or no RET”.
The dumped project would have been the biggest in the Southern Hemisphere – a 600 megawatt facility Roaring Forties wind, capable of providing power for 240,000 homes in the Geelong region.
The proposal faced hurdles from the start, including opposition on grounds that wind farms still needed coal-generated power as a back up and because the King Island site was important orange-bellied parrot habitat.
Hydro Tasmania dropped the project because: it was economically unviable as a stand-alone wind farm or as a staged connection to Tasmania; changing economic conditions had inceased the estimated capital costs by around $150 million; and extending TasWind as a staged connection to Tasmania would be more expensive than other direct connection options between the state and Victoria.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...
More News

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...