Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeIndyFederal MPs hooked up with early cabling

Federal MPs hooked up with early cabling

GEELONG’S federal electorate offices have received fibre optic internet connections months before the National Broadband Network rollout arrives in the city.
Telstra has a $23 million government contract to upgrade telecommunications services to the offices of MPs, including Corio’s Richard Marles and Corangamite’s Darren Cheeseman.
Geelong’s NBN rollout of optic fibre to homes and businesses is scheduled to begin in June.
Mr Marles said Department of Parliamentary Services made the decision for MPs to have cabling earlier.
A briefing at City Hall this week updated businesses and stakeholders on the rollout.
Councillor Rod Macdonald said residents would see NBN trucks on the streets in June, starting in North Geelong.
“Planning is underway now and we’te ensuring there are opportunities for local jobs on the NBN rollout.”
Cr Macdonald said construction and telecommunications firm Transfield Services would contract local jobs as part of its $133 million contract to construct the NBN in Victoria.
Job opportunities would include technical and non-technical roles, including optic fibre splicing, cable hauling, customer cabling, civil construction and traffic management, he said.
“The job now is to let business and the community know what the NBN means for them. As an example, we had to spend $20,000 on extra phone lines in our regional libraries to cope with the increased internet demand.”
NBNCo has given Gordon TAFE a grant to train telecommunications workers in preparation for the rollout, according to the institute ICT program manager Steve Gale.
The subsidy would enable locals to train in fibre optics and gain a Certificate III in Telecommunications fibre splicer stream, he said.
“There’s been no demand for it before, so not many people have these skills but the NBN will need workers with the training.”
He said the subsidy would reduce the course fee for participants who failed to qualify for a government subsidised place.
The course begins on 1 March.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...