Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeSportMiers set for Bombers clash

Miers set for Bombers clash

Geelong Cats will face in-form midfielders Zach Merrett and Darcy Parish when they take on Essendon at GMHBA Stadium on Friday night.

“Parish is having a bit of a breakout year getting a bit more on-ball time,” Cats coach Chris Scott told a press conference on Wednesday.

“And they’re a pretty dynamic group in there as well, with [Sam] Draper in the ruck helping a lot.”

But Scott said the Cats would focus first on getting their own midfield right, rather than tagging opposition players, following a “collective poor performance” against Brisbane Lions last Thursday.

“It can be a little overplayed, the one-on-one matchups. We focus a bit more on ‘how’s our midfield going to go against theirs?’ and work out what the right balance for us is first,” he said.

“Then it’s very much a secondary thing, ‘what do we have to take away from them?’”

Further up the ground, unconventional forward Grien Myers looks ready to return to the senior side after playing a second consecutive game in the reserves last week following his return from a leg fracture

“He’s got a different set of skills to our other forwards in particular,” Scott said.

“He’s a smart player [with] great goal sense and he’s an elite runner, and when you take elite runners out of your team, it always has a bit of an impact.

“So we’re looking forward to getting some of those things back from him.”

Talented young midfielder Quinton Narkle continues to knock loudly on the door for selection too.

“We’re not going to leave him out of our 22 for too long, that’s for sure,” Scott said.

“I’d love to have him in the team and never have him go out again for a decade, but it’s not that simple. He’s going to play a lot of AFL footy for us.”

Fellow young midfield talent Charlie Constable is also pressing his case for selection with 43 disposals and a goal against Brisbane’s reserves side last week.

“He continually does the right thing outside of the games and then performs well in the games when he gets his chance,” Scott said.

But speedster Jordan Clark will miss the chance to play in Friday night’s game after injuring his AC joint in a heavy collision during the third quarter of the reserves.

The shoulder injury will sideline Clark for several weeks.

Meanwhile, Scott threw his support behind plans to condense the next few rounds of the AFL season given the worsening COVID-19 situation in New South Wales.

“We’re up for it if the AFL is, but I think it’s incumbent on everyone to put self-interest aside and get through this as best we can,” Scott said.

“I think there are bigger issues than a little bit of inconvenience and I suspect we’re going to go through a little bit more.

“Our role, as far as we see it is to, one, ask the AFL what they need from us, and two, fight as hard as we can to get those things done.

“All clubs are going to have to adapt as best as possible and we’re more than willing to do our bit in that respect.”

Scott also stated his support for more games to be played at GMHBA Stadium each year, with sixth-placed Sydney to take on seventh-placed West Coast at the venue on Sunday due to the COVID-19 situation.

“I’m really looking forward to watching the game and I’m hoping the people in the region are as well,” he said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...