Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeSportScott positive despite loss

Scott positive despite loss

Geelong coach Chris Scott is remaining positive despite a disappointing 30-point loss to Sydney on Friday night.

The Cats travelled to the SCG filled with confidence following an impressive round one win, but were outplayed by the Swans in the 17.5 (107) to 10.17 (77) defeat.

Scott said the Cats’ ball use was a leading factor – with the team going at just 69 per cent efficiency across the game.

“Their team played really well,” he said.

“It was a bit of a strange game from our perspective in that we thought the conditions were good early but it almost looked like a wet weather game for us.

“The problem was it didn’t look like a wet weather game for them the way they handled the ball, so we were beaten around the ball.

It’s not often you play poorly get beaten by 30-odd points and have more scoring shots and more inside 50s, so it was a bit strange.

“They took their chances [and we didn’t].”

Scott said despite the defeat, there were positives in the way the Cats played.

“We didn’t play well but you can point to some things,” he said.

“Our midfield got soundly beaten, but we did get the ball forward more than the opposition.

“It was more the quality of what we were doing – they pressured really well.

“Every team in the AFL is going to have nights where you have reason to question some of the things you’re doing, but if we were a cleaner with the ball it would have changed a lot.

“It’s simple stuff that I think is easily turned around.”

Scott singled out small forward Brad Close for praise, after the 23-year-old kicked four goals to go with 18 disposals, a game-high 11 score involvements and five tackles.

“In a tough night for us it was a really complete game for a small running forward,” Scott said.

“He was really good last week – we thought he was in the best five players on the ground – and he was clearly our best player [on Friday].

“He’s developing really well.”

However the match was overshadowed by Sydney forward Lance Franklin becoming just the sixth player in VFL/AFL history to kick 100 goals.

Going into the game needing four goals for the milestone, Franklin slotted the 1000th of his career with around six minutes left in the final quarter.

Thousands of fans jumped the fence and surrounded Franklin to celebrate with milestone, with play stopped for 36 minutes.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...