Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeSportGeelong adds three Falcons at draft

Geelong adds three Falcons at draft

Three Geelong Falcons stars were among the five players selected by Geelong on the second night of the AFL draft yesterday.

The Cats added St Mary’s ruckman Toby Conway with pick 24 and Grovedale pair Mitch Knevitt (pick 25) and Cooper Whyte (pick 64) on Thursday night.

The Cats also selected South Australian James Willis with its third pick of the night (pick 32) and Flynn Kroeger (pick 48) from Eastern Ranges.

Conway, Knevitt and Whyte were the only three Falcons players to be selected in the national draft.

Geelong recruiting and list manager Stephen Wells said the club was pleased with its selections at the draft.

“We are excited to add these boys to our list,” he said.

“We came in with a plan to draft some midfielders and apart from Toby, the other four are genuine midfielder types who complement each other, and the other players we already have at the club.

“To be able to trade up and get pick 23 was important to us. It came on the back of some trades we did last year in the Jeremy Cameron deal.

“Toby and Mitch, who we picked in the 20s, had outstanding years for the Falcons and for the Vic country team.

“Cooper was a great contributor for the Falcons. We were very happy to pick them.”

After not being involved in the first night of the draft, Cats fans didn’t have to wait long for Geelong to snap up Conway with the fourth pick of the second round.

Conway was the first pure ruckman taken in the draft and was highly rated after working with former Geelong star Brad Ottens throughout the year.

Wells said Conway had good endurance that allowed him to move well around the ground and get involved in general play.

He was named in the NAB League team of the year and represented both Vic Country and the Australian academy team in 2021.

“Toby, like most ruckmen, may take a while to develop but with some established rucks at the club this will give Toby time to learn and develop his trade,” Wells said.

The Cats then selected his Falcons teammate Knevitt with the following pick.

Knevitt won the Falcons’ best and fairest this season and represented Vic Country at Under 18 level.

He was named in the NAB League team of the year as a midfielder after showing off his speed, endurance and strength for the Falcons.

“Mitch has some versatility about him. He’ll spend most of his time in the midfield, and he has the running capability to be a midfielder,” Wells said.

The Cats rounded out their list with more midfielders in Willis, Kroeger and Whyte.

“Flynn had some injuries, but he has a strong body and is a very tough competitor and he meets a need for us with our midfield developing group,” Wells said.

“James had a terrific year at North Adelaide; he had big numbers when he played and was able to kick goals out of the midfield.”

Geelong has two list spots left to fill at today’s rookie draft.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...