Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeSportSteel Prince wins quiet Geelong Cup

Steel Prince wins quiet Geelong Cup

Steel Prince has won an eerily-quiet Geelong Cup in a narrow finish ahead of stablemate Le Don De Vie.

The horses galloped in front of perhaps the smallest crowd in the cup’s 148-year history on Wednesday amid COVID-19.

Only trainers, jockeys, officials, owners and select Geelong Racing Club staff were onsite without the punters, marquees and fashions on the field that normally accompany the race.

Usually 12,000 or more spectators line the hills and stands of Geelong Racecourse to cheer the horses on in the 2400-metre race.

Jockey Jye McNeil rode Steel Prince for the victory, which has booked the seven-year-old a place in the Melbourne Cup.

The horse finished ninth in the race that stops the nation last year and trainers Anthony and Sam Freedman will be hoping he can complete the Geelong-Melbourne double.

“He was too strong today,” Sam said after the race.

“Credit to this horse, he is incredible. He has obviously been around a while and he keeps turning up.

“I said to Jye, ‘If you’re right there at the top of the straight, he is a horse that loves a dogfight’.

“He’s riding at the top of his game at the moment and he gets on really well with this horse. He’s ridden him really nicely in previous starts.”

Three Geelong Cup winners, Media Puzzle (2002), Americain (2010) and Dunaden (2011), have completed the double in the past two decades.

Prince of Arran won the Geelong Cup in 2019 before finishing second in the Melbourne Cup.

The win in Wednesday’s group 3 Geelong Cup shortened Steel Prince’s odds from about $51 to win the Melbourne Cup to $26.

King Of Leogrance placed third.

Previous article
Next article
Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...